• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Many Pairs of Binoculars do you Have? (1 Viewer)

I already have too many and I don't want to collect them but use them! I currently have 9 pair and I don't need any more, maybe I'll sell some of them!

POCKET SIZE for unexpected situations just in case
Leica Trinovid BCA 8x20
Leica Trinovid BCA 10x25
Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25

COMPACT SIZE grab and go
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
Nikon E2 8x30

Nikon E 7x35

MEDIUM SIZE all around, birding etc
Zeiss Victory SF 10x42

BIG and VERY BIG SIZE for astronomy
APM ED APO 16x70
APM 28x110

If I were to stay with less bino I would stay with the bold ones
If you could only keep one binocular, which one would you keep?:)

I have three pairs of binoculars:

Carl Zeiss 10x50 bought back in 1988 (which I gave to my parents).
Leica Duovid 10-15x50 bought back in 2003 (absolutely love these as its essentially like have two pairs of binoculars in one).
Leica Ultravid 8x20 which I purchased around six weeks ago, as I wanted a pocket friendly binocular. I've been blown away by the quality of them.

I must have at least 40 binoculars around here. It would take more time than I want to spend listing them all. Probably a bit over half are JTII era porros.

If you could only keep one binocular, which one would you keep?:)
It's hard for me to choose between Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 and Nikon E2 8x30 ... however Zeiss SF is the one, because I wears glasses and E2 is at the limit of eye relief for me (but I still see the whole FOV)! :)

I have less than twenty. All I ever need and then some. I have managed to give away a few to family, and several are out on a long term loan basis. Still enough left to have a few extras if I'm hauling family and friends out to bird. At least in theory...

My need for eye relief really limits what works, which is probably a good thing, otherwise I would've gone down a bigger rabbit hole to sample older bins out there. (Habicht, Nikon E series, Zeiss HT, Fl, Swift Audubon, etc. )

The ones in heavy rotation for me are:
Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF
Leica 10x42 Noctivid
Swaro 8x32 NL

My wife uses:
Zeiss 8x32 Victory - I barely can't see the entire field, but an excellent bin otherwise
Swaro 8x32 EL - I also use this one. Great all around bin.
Leica 8x32 UV plus : Love the size, but not enough ER for me.

Hiking/Backpacking:
Zeiss 8x25 Victory: Too fussy for me for regular birding, but great for hiking with.

Astro:
Canon IS 15x50: Lousy ER, and even the IPD is not great for me. I got it years before I began birding, when I was more into astronomy, as a widefield supplement to a telescope, but the IS is a wonderful tool when stargazing. Use without glasses....

Periodic car and walking bin:
Nikon MHG 8x30

There's a few more sitting in their pouches, probably wondering why they don't get used...

-Bill

Here’s mine:
Nikon EDG II 8x32 (primary)
Nikon EDG II 10x42 (primary 2)
Kowa Genesis 10x33 (backpacking)
Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 (ultralight backpacking)
Nikon Premier LxL 10x25 (I’ve had these a really long time, still enjoy them.) :)

Four pairs between my wife and me:
1. Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 (in the car)
2. Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (for travel - stays in the living room for garden birding)
3. Swarovski EL 8.5x42 FP (my primary pair)
4. Kowa SV 8x32 (my wife's)

A couple of older noname pairs are staying in the closet.

Last edited:
As of yesterday morning, I own just one pair of binoculars (NL Pure 10x32).

My other three pairs I parcelled up, along with a decent lens cleaning kit I bought to accompany them, plus the RSPB British Birds book, and sent them to a charity which organises days out and camping/adventure trips for underprivileged kids here in the UK. Far better enjoyed regularly by many, than sitting almost obsolete in my home gathering dust.

Opportunity, inspiration, education...who knows what effect they may have on some of the hands they pass through under their new ownership.

No, I don't want to go smaller than 30mm.
I'd like a 8x32 for a little more comfort with eyeglasses, but I don't feel too excited about anything out there now.
I'd like to stay around the 1k price range. I'd prefer 8x32, but it's possible I may end up with another 8x30.
I hope to see a few interesting new bins come out in the next year or two. I hope the wait isn't too long.
Hi Beth, have you looked through the Swaro CL 8x30B..... I checked some out a few weeks back.
To my eyes they trumped both the 8x32 conquest, and 8x33 Kowa Prominar, both of which were also very good.
They are around the 1000 mark, and from what I saw, pretty good value for money.
Very small, but very usable even in my spade size hands.

Does denigrating other people's possessions make you feel better?
Collecting binoculars is fine if that's what you enjoy and listing them as requested by the OP is also fine but I see how needing to list your vehicles might elicit a reaction.

My other three pairs I parcelled up, along with a decent lens cleaning kit I bought to accompany them, plus the RSPB British Birds book, and sent them to a charity which organises days out and camping/adventure trips for underprivileged kids here in the UK.

Can you share a link to this fine organization?

Greetings to the respected community. My several binoculars:
Zeiss FL 8x32,
Zeiss FL 10 x 32,
Zeiss HT 8x42,
Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W,
Swarovski SLC 8x42 WB,
Swarovski EL 10x50 FP.
I would like to add to them something larger magnification of 15x or 18x.

Hi Beth, have you looked through the Swaro CL 8x30B..... I checked some out a few weeks back.
To my eyes they trumped both the 8x32 conquest, and 8x33 Kowa Prominar, both of which were also very good.
They are around the 1000 mark, and from what I saw, pretty good value for money.
Very small, but very usable even in my spade size hands.
Yes, I looked through the CL-b twice outside the store. The second time I had my Nikon HG 8x30 and compared them briefly. The CL optics seemed a little better, but the view not as immersive due to the narrower FOV. It seemed somewhat tunnel like and I never had this impression with my first generation CL 8x30. I also think the CL-a has more usable eye relief compared to the CL-b. The CL-a eyecup rims are more flush with the ocular lens providing more usable ER. I wear eyeglasses and the usable ER on the MHG is just barely enough.

I need to try the CL-b again sometime. The store didn’t have any in stock last time I went up there. They told me they cut their selection of bins down to about half and won’t carry all of the models they used to which is disappointing.

Greetings to the respected community. My several binoculars:
Zeiss FL 8x32,
Zeiss FL 10 x 32,
Zeiss HT 8x42,
Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W,
Swarovski SLC 8x42 WB,
Swarovski EL 10x50 FP.
I would like to add to them something larger magnification of 15x or 18x.
THAT'S a good selection(y)

Can you share a link to this fine organization?
Actually no, the parcel has been sent to an ex employee of mine who is very involved with the charity, for her to pass on, and I'm ashamed to say I have never taken the trouble to find out the name of it, which is embarrassing. I must ask her...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back