• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how many pairs of bins ? (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Oh I have another pair of Jenoptems - £30 on Ebay :)
have you seen the russian military binoculars being on ebay a few times i quite like the look of them , what do you think ?

If they are that good why are they selling them?

Save your money, time, and of course effort.

Put the thirty pounds into a decent pair of 'bins'.....or even better, a couple of bottles of decent 'red'.

Last edited:
OK truth time. 3 pair's

1 10-25.

2 8-42

3 my pride and joy opticron DBA 8-42.

and i thought i had a problem, but i do find it difficult to walk past in-focus, without going in for a look round and ermmmm buying. But i only have one scope optricon 65 with HDF 16-48x eyepiece.
bert.

ingle1970 said:
i started it so if its you show me yours i'll show you mine,
my bins are , and i might add in no particular order ,

leica 10*32bn
swarovski 7*42slc
swarovski 10*42el
nikon 8*42 high grade
zeiss 10*40 bgat
zeiss 8*30 bgat
zeiss 10*40 victory , came with free 3*12 monocular
zeiss 7*42 bgat
zeiss 8*30 IF olive green
leica apo 77, 20-60 zoom.

Mmmmmm.....nice

Clive

Well... I'll show my hand, and solidarity with Charles Harper and helenol.

I pair... Opticron 10x50s

Partyorsha does have a pair of Opticron 8x50s, but they are strictly non-interchangeable, as I cannot get on with hers at all, and vice versa.

I have owned several different pairs most have been sold on EBAY or given to Birder's Exchange. I tried 10x several times stubbornly and they just didn't work for me. I have left a rather beat up Nikon 8x32 SE which is my favorite of all time and a Zeiss 8x20 Victory which I keep in my car.

I lust after the the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL. But I am not sure that it really exists.

michaelboustead said:
I lust after the the Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL. But I am not sure that it really exists.

I think it will exist soon. This must be the most interesting new binocular for a long time. Will it really be better than the Zeiss Dialyt (now Classic) 7x42, the most birder-friendly binocular of all time? Time will tell.

Sean

1 pair Zeiss 10x40 BGAT* Dialyt which are my back up pair - I've had them for 22 years and only retired them last year.
1 Pair Zeiss 10x40 Victory 2s

Why would anyone want more than that?

How many pair of binoculars?

ingle1970 said:
do you have more than one pair of binoculars ? , i have 9 pairs , i just cant stop myself from buying them .
and the worst thing is i always go back to my old favourites 7*42 bgats.
:
clap:

Gosh, I only have six pair and they are mostly Zeiss 8x30 and 8/32!!!

It seems like any hobby that involves equipment can generate this kind of discussion. In photography forums there exist such concepts as NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). I guess the same is true for birding gear.

I have "only" three pairs of binocs currently.

Bushnell 7 x 26 compact. I really never liked these; I got them cheaply as a "travel" set but I just about never use them.

Swift 8.5 x 44 Audubon ED (porro). These are very nice; sharp, magnificent color rendition. The only problem is that they are simply not as good in terms of resolution at the edge of the image as my favorite pair, my

Nikon Superior E (but the name has been changed recently, I gather) 10 x 42 porro, very simply the best binocs I've ever owned or used. I was heartsick not long ago when I accidentally left my pair under the front seat of a rental car in Hawaii. After pillorying myself royally I started figuring out how I was going to save up the money for a new pair. Sigh. But when the next renters of that car returned it to the Honolulu Airport, the binocs were still under the seat. Returned to me! Miracle!

As near as I know, 7 bins. Leica 8x42 Ultravids & 8x20 compacts, Zeiss 8x20 (I think) compacts, a Minolta compact, 2 pair of Bushnell porros and a Sears porro in the glovebox of the boat. One of the Bushnell porros is on more or less indefinite loan to a niece in Nebraska, the other is at my folks' house in case I get over there without bringing "real" bins along. They have a beautiful mulberry hedge across the backyard that is a warbler magnet during migration, so I leave some old bins there just in case. Alas, they are moving out of their home of 45 years this spring due to my mom being diagnosed with Parkinsons recently, so there goes that opportunity. The only scope in the collection is a Nikon 15-45x60, I think it is a "Sky & Earth" or "Earth & Sky", one or the other. Nothing great, but it gets the job done in a pinch. If everyone will promise not to tell my wife, I will confide in you that 1st class glass in a spotting scope is next on the agenda!
Paul
Sioux Falls,SD

Hello
I have 7, 5 full-size and 2 compacts. I've got to be honest, I really don't need that many. But I just can't stop buying them. Because I never get a perfect one. My favorite one is probably my 8.5x44 Swift Audubon. The Nikon 10x36 Sporter I like a lot too. My Swift 8x42 Warbler has great optics, but their eyecups which just slide up and down and is rather bothersome.
marcus

Last edited:
My 4th pair is a zoom pair, Bushnells. They actually are quite good at sunrise and sunset, as their tunnel effect, unintended, cuts out a lot of glare. But they are useless for looking at quick moving birds up in the tops of trees.

Occasionally I use them, as they work for a few far away birds. Image is not clear at 15x.

Only two: - Nikon 8x36 sporters and Opticron BGA imagic 8 x 42. I don't count the cheap and cheerful Bushmasters ( 1999 Bird fair cost £29.95) in the kitchen.

Well I've got three pairs - a pair of cheap Bushnell compacts that are always with me just in case, a pair of Opticrons that sit by the window for watching stuff in the garden, and my main pair are Leica Duovids. The only change I'd like to make is to buy a better pair of compacts... maybe one day.

5 cheap compacts and er......10 full size pairs (although my Opticron 10x42HR need collimating) best being Nikon 8x32HG's. Most of the others were/are fairly cheap, some are pretty good, others are neither pretty nor good! A lot were bought on e-bay s/hand. The idea was that there would be a pair in each room of the house by the window, unfortunately that was my idea, my wife's idea is that they will all be stacked neatly on a shelf in an upstairs cupboard!!! Guess who's idea won?
Also got 5 scopes although my old Kowa TSN2 is only fit for the bin. Trying to pluck up courage to buy a 78ED as well (absolute bargain I keep telling her) but wife will suspend me from the ceiling by the unmentionables if any more scopes or bins turn up (might be a turn on for some?). can't even use the kids as an excuse as they've got their own (Nikon 8x36 for 8yr old son - and he has a spare pair as well - and 3?? pairs of toy ones for 3yr old daughter.
don't think it's a case of too much money, more not enough brains...

Nick

2 pairs of cheap compacts 8x21's I think, one is the glove compartment one in my office desk, both were given to me

Nikon 8x32 HG
Opticron 10x42 DBA
I use the Nikon when I have the scope or am in woods and the Opticron at other times

only one scope

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back