• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's Your 2023 List Going? (1 Viewer)

(Miami Area)
197. Blue-and-yellow Macaw
198. Orange-winged Parrot
Are these birds "countable" now under eBird, or are they listed as escapes? I lost a few birds I considered established, but which eBird says are now considered escapes. I still count them on my personal life list despite what eBird says.

Dave

Are these birds "countable" now under eBird, or are they listed as escapes? I lost a few birds I considered established, but which eBird says are now considered escapes. I still count them on my personal life list despite what eBird says.

Dave
They are countable, they are considered "Provisional" by eBird standards, the only "Escapees" I've seen this year are the domestic geese varieties (Swan and Graylag), Red Junglefowl and a surprise Budgerigar yesterday. But obviously, those don't go on my year or life list.

With that said, since a lot of these exotics are countable by eBird, I'm getting more and more out of state birders that want me to show them those birds, since they go by eBird rules, instead of ABA rules (much more fun to add 8 parrot species to your life list, instead of 2).

These from the last week.

170. Bonelli's Eagle
171. Little Ringed Plover
172. Lesser Kestrel
173. Willow Warbler
174. Common Reed Warbler
175. Common Redstart
176. Western Bonelli's Warbler

They are countable, they are considered "Provisional" by eBird standards, the only "Escapees" I've seen this year are the domestic geese varieties (Swan and Graylag), Red Junglefowl and a surprise Budgerigar yesterday. But obviously, those don't go on my year or life list.

With that said, since a lot of these exotics are countable by eBird, I'm getting more and more out of state birders that want me to show them those birds, since they go by eBird rules, instead of ABA rules (much more fun to add 8 parrot species to your life list, instead of 2).
Thanks for the information.

Incidentally, one of the birds I lost was Budgerigar. I saw them in the mid-1990s in the St. Petersburg, Florida area when they were well established and on the ABA Area List. They were common enough that you could easily see them perched on wires while driving down the street. It's my belief that if I saw them when they were considered established and countable, then they should still count on my eBird list, even though they are extirpated now. I can understand not counting an escaped cage bird, but in this case, they were certainly not pets that got loose. Just my two cents.

Dave

Thanks for the information.

Incidentally, one of the birds I lost was Budgerigar. I saw them in the mid-1990s in the St. Petersburg, Florida area when they were well established and on the ABA Area List. They were common enough that you could easily see them perched on wires while driving down the street. It's my belief that if I saw them when they were considered established and countable, then they should still count on my eBird list, even though they are extirpated now. I can understand not counting an escaped cage bird, but in this case, they were certainly not pets that got loose. Just my two cents.

Dave
I know there was a decent population back then, I actually guided some birders from Central Florida this weekend and one of them talked about it. Seems like one of the main factors why they disappeared was that someone who actively fed them sold their property and the new owners didn't feed the birds. Not sure how reliable that information is, but considering they knew the property owner and saw the disappearance firsthand, I think there's a bit of truth to it.

These days though, any Australian parrot we see in Florida is by default an escapee, these include Budgerigar, Cockatiel and Crimson Rosella (all of these I've seen in the Miami area of the years).

Popped into Venus Pool for half an hour this afternoon and picked up a few new ones:

135. Eurasian Oystercatcher
136. Common Snipe
137. Dunlin
138. Sand Martin

And then in a woodland elsewhere in the county:

139. Northern Goshawk

Three new additions to the Year List this morning.

101. Louisiana Waterthrush
102. Golden Eagle
103. Purple Finch

The waterthrush was right on schedule, the eagle is rare but almost annual in this area, and the finch, about time (should have seen it well before now.)

Dave

(Ten Thousand Islands NWR and Naples)
201. American Avocet
202. Stilt Sandpiper
203. Semipalmated Sandpiper
204. House Finch

The swallows are starting to arrive. I've already seen Tree Swallows (they're the earliest migrants among the swallows) but today I added two more to my Year List.

104. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
104. Barn Swallow

Dave

Glorious day walking on the trails along Las Xanas, Asturias today.

140. Golden Eagle
141. Griffon Vulture
142. Red-billed Chough
143. Egyptian Vulture
144. Tree Pipit
145. Common Grasshopper Warbler
146. White-throated Dipper

A quick stop on my way home from work produced two new birds for the year.

106. Savannah Sparrow
107. Broad-winged Hawk

Dave

Last edited:
These are my year ticks since Sunday.

177. Pallid Swift
178. Great Spotted Cuckoo
179. Stone-curlew
180. Calandra Lark
181. Montagu's Harrier
182. Glossy Ibis
183. Common Redshank