• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummers Joshua Tree NP and surrounding area, CA April 2022 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
There might be more coming. This first one is one I have a feeling must be a Black-chinned Hummer, but something still leaves a bit of doubt. It obviously also has been in a flower with yellow pollen.

Niels
Hummer 1a P1200728.JPGHummer 1b P1200718.JPG

I should be able to help, but alas am horrible with female/young hummingbirds especially differentiating between Black-chinned, which I think it is, and Anna’s.

I don't see these birds as much as I used to and am no expert on them but I would agree with Black-chinned. The wingtips not reaching the tail and the lengthy / slender look are strikes against Costa's. The cleanish white chest, clean throat, and long necked look are strikes against Anna's. Overall the slender look, the bill, and the coloration seem to fit well (at least to my eye) for Black-chinned, and the apparent wing length vs tail length checks out.

Thank you both.
I did see a Costa shortly after (adult male) and it was more compact than this bird.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back