• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummers, Mindo, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Even after more then two months, there are still birds from Ecuador that we haven't IDed. Especially those really, really green hummers from Yellow House. Some of them look similar to each other, but not quite ...

Attachments

• 1-12_bMG_9884.JPG
    1-12_bMG_9884.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1-12_bMG_9891.JPG
    1-12_bMG_9891.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 1-12_bMG_9927.JPG
    1-12_bMG_9927.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1-13_cMG_0689.JPG
    1-13_cMG_0689.JPG
    567.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1-13_cMG_0696.JPG
    1-13_cMG_0696.JPG
    577.2 KB · Views: 21
No 2 and probably 3 and 4 reminds me of green-crowned brilliant. Notice the shape of the area just behind the bill.

Niels

I think probably 1,2,4 green-crowned brilliant. For 1, throat gorget might be pink - in which case empress brilliant except that there's no sign of contrasting goldish feathering lower on breast/belly so I think probably an artefact. 3,5 I think crowned Woodnymph: greyish unds, shortish curved bill (but 3 not obvious: see unds esp here)

We have other individuals from both species (brilliant and woodnymph) from the same feeder that we deemed reasonable to ID, so it won't be surprising if those were indeed other birds of the same species.

For 1 I don’t get the impression of elongated face around the bill that signals brilliant but I might be wrong. I now agree that 3 is not one.

Niels

For 1 I don’t get the impression of elongated face around the bill that signals brilliant but I might be wrong. I now agree that 3 is not one.

Niels

Surely it's a matter of the angle? You can see the throat patch..? (Without looking at photos, illustration of empress suggests bill is longer and straighter)

I agree 2 and 4 are certainly Green-crowned Brilliants, and I think 1 must be as well. I can't see any reason to call it anything else, and GC Brilliant is one of the most common hummers in Mindo and by far the common Brilliant there.

3 and 5 are female White-naped Jacobins. The structure is stockier with a heavier bill than a Woodnymph, the throat and belly are more scaled, and the undertail coverts are heavily scaled, clear in 5 and barely visible in 3.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back