• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid baikal teal ? at Top Hill Low , Yorkshire last weekend. (3 Viewers)

markm

England
Any ideas which cross?
No need to apologise about photo I know its rubbish.

Attachments

• IMGcrop2_3907-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
    IMGcrop2_3907-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 145
another dodgy duck now! if this baikal teal is going from somerset to east yorkshire and breeding what hope have we got! canvasbacks love essex,fudge ducks love the midlands ...........yes it got baikal teal in it

For info there was a very similar looking bird at a couple of sites in West Yorkshire in May last year that was concluded to be a Wigeon x Shoveler hybrid.

I am not sure on this one, andwould like to see more photos.

i agree there is some resemblance to wigeon x shoveler in this bird , but also to wigeon x pintail... however, baikal teal head pattern is thrown up by a number of hybrid combinations...

I think I am going to be careful with tis one until there are more pictures

Why not Eurasian Wigeon x Northern Pintail?
One point here is: because the breast is too dark. it is slightly darker than flanks. that shouldn´t be the case in the cross involving pintail. it also excludes baikal teal x Northern pintail . also scapulars differ slightly in both these crosses , I think

More photos as requested. Sorry about the delay.
These are all just crops of the original jpegs.

Attachments

• IMG_3915crop.JPG
    IMG_3915crop.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3911crop.JPG
    IMG_3911crop.JPG
    521.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3909cropJPG.JPG
    IMG_3909cropJPG.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3908crop.JPG
    IMG_3908crop.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 43
thank you Mark,

one parent appears to be Northern Shoveler, from the way how the reddish brown of the breast is bleeding into the flanks. The reddish flank of northern shoveler is often shifted towards the breast and getting darker in many dabbling duck hybrids where the second parent has anotherr flank color, but there is often a reddish brown hue remaining to the flanks.
The hue on the flanks can vary in strenghth

Noshov x Eurowigeon:

Noshov x Eurasian Teal

Noshov x Gadwall

Noshov x Mallard

i am still checking the other parent
will come back to this
Jörn

Well, I can not safely exclude the already mentioned combination Eurasian Wigeon x Northern shoveler- this could well be it, though there are some things a bit odd,

therefore I am still wondering if something else , like Baikal Teal ,could be involved. I would really like to see a closeup of the scapulars to clarify .....

Well, I can not safely exclude the already mentioned combination Eurasian Wigeon x Northern shoveler- this could well be it, though there are some things a bit odd,

therefore I am still wondering if something else , like Baikal Teal ,could be involved. I would really like to see a closeup of the scapulars to clarify .....
I couldnt see it yesterday and duck numbers are peaking due to freezing weather. It was about between Christmas and new year but I couldnt really add anything as it was a good distance out on D reservoir.

I couldnt see it yesterday and duck numbers are peaking due to freezing weather. It was about between Christmas and new year but I couldnt really add anything as it was a good distance out on D reservoir.
well thats the joy and despair of birding - thanks for trying !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back