• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have a Nikon 8X30 E multicoated on the way! (1 Viewer)

Mikbul

Mikbul
I also picked up a like new leather case on C/N for that specific bino. The one with it is a little beat but the binos. are in fine shape. They should be a good addition when I don't want to carry my Swift HR5's. I really like the old style porros!!! BTW if you have an old pair of binos. don't forget to Armorall the eyecups, keeps them from drying out and cracking!

Attachments

• 8X30e.jpg
    8X30e.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
While you wait, you can read the lovely review by Roger Vine at scopeviews.co.uk (in case you don't know it).

I had the 12x40 version (also C coatings) and the view was really fantastic.

Hi Mikbul,

Congratulations! I too have the multi-coated version of the Nikon E 8x30, and I’m in total agreement with Roger’s review. It provides astonishing value,
taking into account the obvious limitations i.e. it’s not airtight, and the eye relief will be too short for some who wear glasses.
See my previous comments at: 8X30 binocular model.

While the view is not as bright as many current production binoculars (including the EII production from 2017 on), it’s certainly not dark.
If you’re interested, you can find a lot more detail at: EII - Increased Brightness following on from 100th Anniversary Edition

Comparing the 8x30 E to it's successor the 8x30 EII, I at least find the E preferable: the E provides a wide and perfectly relaxed 145 m field of view,
compared to the constantly slightly uncomfortable 154 m FOV of the EII! (see post #20 in the second link).
The E also does not have the slightly awkward handling, balance and hang of the bulkier back-heavy EII.

The Better View Desired review that the you linked to is of the EII - although the title does not make this clear. See an image from the original version *
And for ease of comparison I’ve also attached the specifications for the E and EII versions.

John

* a PDF of the review complete with images, can be found at: Early Reviews SE and EII Porro Binoculars
click on the second item

Attachments

• BVD Image.jpg
    BVD Image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 26
  • E Spec's (after 12x40 discontinued).jpg
    E Spec's (after 12x40 discontinued).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 26
  • EII Spec's.png
    EII Spec's.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply John! I'm not concerned with brightness, for low light I have 8.5X44 Audubon HR5's. I just really like the looks and from what I've read the performance of the 8X30E's (and less weight of course)

The 8X30 E's (C) arrived today, unfortunately the suns not out today and that's when I'll be using them the most. Nice shape and the optics seem well collimated with nice sharp image and very smooth focus like my Audubons! (Much lighter so on a hike they'll be less of a burden) The case I got for them was a little tight so I took the padding out of the top cover and they fit nicely now. Wonder what size Bins that case was for?

Attachments

• Case.jpg
    Case.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 8X30.jpg
    8X30.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 8X30II.JPG
    8X30II.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
For some reason I thought I was buying 8X30's? A serious senior moment! Oh well, they're nice bins anyway with the better coatings. I thought the field looked a little tight!

Last edited:
Well, I just compared them to my Swift 7X42 Ultralites and they are just as bright and easier for me to look through, almost too much E/R on the Swifts (Good for someone with glasses). Bottom line is I like them and will not send them back but probably will sell the Swifts. They do have a larger FOV than the Swifts but less than my Audubons and large enough that I can definitely live with. All's well that ends well! Thanks for catching that Jerry! As far as the case goes the fit is fine but I kept the padding and can easily glue it back in if I ever need it for an 8X30. I'm going to see if the original case can be refurbished? May not be worth it, it's pretty rough! It's amazing how nice the Bins are looking at that case!!!

Attachments

• Orig case.JPG
    Orig case.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
No worries as long as you’re pleased! I will say that the original photo you posted was of an 8x30 and 7x35s sell for less than the 8x30. So if the seller charged you for an 8x but sent a 7x then you might want to ask for a little compensation. Personally, I really like the E series as long as you have the better coatings so enjoy.👍

That photo was from an ad, not the sellers ad. No, I got a good price on them so with the excellent cond. I'm happy. Like I said I have 8.5X44's so these are a good companion I think.

Hi again Mikbul,

Again congratulations, as all of the E series offer great value. For some information on the comparative performance of the multi-coated 7x35 E,
see the links in post #8 at: Nikon "E"?

John

Thanks John, a good read and I agree with most if not all the findings. Of course I need to spend more time with them but so far I like them. I love old porros!

Well I've got the Nikon E bug! this time I really do have a set of 8X30 E (C) Bins on the way! We'll see how I like these compared to the 7X35 E which I do like a lot so it will be an interesting shootout! These will fit that perfect 8X30 case I have after I glue the top cover padding back in. I wish I could find a nice OEM 7X35 E case for the 7X35's! If not I have a Zeiss case I can use with them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back