• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I know it's not an Aeonium, but what is it? (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Found growing out of a dry stone wall, in the middle of the Zennor Moor, W Cornwall.
P1040803 (small).jpgP1040810 (small).jpg
A bit over exposed to show the stem.
Any ideas?

TIA
Fof

The_Fern.
Yes, I think you are right.
I've seen it without flowers, and in flower, but never as it starts to produce a flower spike, and this one has to be stressed.
Tucked in the wall it would be quite happy, but this has had to come out into the full sun, on a SE facing wall.

Thanks
Fof

That is very interesting. It appears to be a Umbilicus that has lost its' basal leaves but is still about to form a flowering stem.

As the plant is growing in a cavity, in a 19th century stone wall, I would not be surprised to find that the leaves to the left, are the basal leaves with extended/etiolated petioles.
I intend to revisit in the next couple of weeks or so, to check on a couple of neolithic sites I didn't have time for. I will look in on this and the very small plant, which is the subject of my other post, while there.

Update.
Sorry for the LONG delay. I can be extremely lazy at times.
Right!
I did go back to check it out, only to find that flowering stem never made it.
It was still there, but the stem had become dehydrated where it exited the wall (through damage?), shriveled and broke off.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back