• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I ordered the FZ18 (3 Viewers)

Great shots! This week we have been able to try out some experiments comparing my two bird photography set ups at a local nature reserve. At this reserve there is a hide where there is a bird table next to a reedbed so the birds are quite confiding. So we were able to capture several good pictures of water rails, which are usually very secretive, from only a few (4 to 5) metres away. Weather conditions were very grey and wintery- heavy snow at times. Firstly with the FZ18:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2364187076_4a85b7bb24_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/2363257789_1331f9ffde_b.jpg

And secondly with my Fuji F31FD and Kowa TS614 telescope:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2259/2355119594_77d16491f7_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2355113474_442c5208d4_b.jpg

There are also some pheasant comparisons here as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157604217422105/

Very nice photos, wish mine were as sharp!
Here are my last examples, the Nuthatch using 5EZ, and the others on aperture setting with in camera processing as discussed earlier. I now need to learn how to use Photoshop etc. As said before, this camera is ideal for the times we say " I wish I had a camera with me!"

Brian.

you've got some nice photos there Brian, i too need to learn more about Photoshop but its proving to be harder than i thought. If anybody has any tips on using Photoshop Elements they will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
you've got some nice photos there Brian, i too need to learn more about Photoshop but its proving to be harder than i thought. If anybody has any tips on using Photoshop Elements they will be greatly appreciated.

Pete,
I have Photoshop Elements 5, and so far I have only used the Quick Fix button!

I did this with your Chiffchaff, plus unsharpen mask (hope you don't mine!)
It now has more colour, but still seems a little light. I have -1/3 EV set on mine as I read somewhere that it's best to underexpose, than over.
There are probably some good threads on here on how to use these programmes.

Brian.

Attachments

• Picture%20236.jpg
    Picture%20236.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 116
Pete,
I have Photoshop Elements 5, and so far I have only used the Quick Fix button!

I did this with your Chiffchaff, plus unsharpen mask (hope you don't mine!)
It now has more colour, but still seems a little light. I have -1/3 EV set on mine as I read somewhere that it's best to underexpose, than over.
There are probably some good threads on here on how to use these programmes.

Brian.

Hi Brian thanks for the info and picture adjustment, but what i dont understand is -1/3EV is that a setting on the camera.

Last edited:
Hi Brian thanks for the info and picture adjustment, but what i dont understand is -1/3EV is that a setting on the camera.

Pete, it's Exposure Value on page 45 of the manual. Not available if using iA mode.
To get the most out of this camera you need to use the more advanced settings. I started out with Outdoor Sports mode, and I'm now trying out Aperture-priorty mode. I will post my settings this evening.
You did well getting the Chiffchaff. It took me ages to get a whole one!

Brian.

I have seen a number of posters say they are using aperture priority mode for bird photography. At first, this seemed counterintuitive to me. What you want to prioritize in bird photography is shutter speed, and I use shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed at 1/500 second to do so. But I guess you could also get a similar result with aperture priority mode, if you set the aperture to as wide as possible (letting in the most light but minimizing depth of field) then you would get the fastest shutter speed you could under the conditions. Is that what those using aperture priority mode are doing? Any problems with having a limited depth of field? Is there a way to set the camera so that shutter speed shows in the viewfinder when you are in aperture priority mode?

Last edited:
I have seen a number of posters say they are using aperture priority mode for bird photography. At first, this seemed counterintuitive to me. What you want to prioritize in bird photography is shutter speed, and I use shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed at 1/500 second to do so. But I guess you could also get a similar result with aperture priority mode, if you set the aperture to as wide as possible (letting in the most light but minimizing depth of field) then you would get the fastest shutter speed you could under the conditions. Is that what those using aperture priority mode are doing? Any problems with having a limited depth of field?

Jim, I have limited knowledge (or understanding) of camera settings, I just try out what other people use! Have not tried Shutter mode yet, but so far I'm quite pleased with the results using aperture priority. It was a nice and sunny yesterday, and most of my photos came out at F4.2, 1/1000sec. I will post a couple tonight. Depth of field seemed fine.

Brian.

but so far I'm quite pleased with the results using aperture priority. It was a nice and sunny yesterday, and most of my photos came out at F4.2, 1/1000sec.

Thanks Brian. F4.2 appears to be the lowest aperture when at maximum zoom, so it sounds as though you are doing what I was asking about.

Jim

Forgot to mention, I have sensitivity set to 100 iso max, therefore I need maxium light.

Brian.

Settings I am using (at the moment).

Aperture priority
Auto white balance
Intelligent ISO OFF
Sensitivity 100 iso
Pict. size 5EZ
Quality Fine
Metering mode Centre weighted
AF mode 1-area H speed
Stabilizer mode 2
Cont. AF OFF
D. zoom OFF
Pict.adj. Sharpness +1
Noise reduct. -2
Burst mode unlimited
EV -1/3
MF Assist MF1 (not used yet)

I would appreciate advice if these are not correct.The following pictures were taken using the above settings. The speeds are 1/320 for the Chiffs, 1/800 for the Buzzard and 1/640 for the rook.

Brian.

Attachments

• Buzzard_800x493.jpg
    Buzzard_800x493.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Chiffchaff 1_800x507.jpg
    Chiffchaff 1_800x507.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Chiffchaff_800x537.jpg
    Chiffchaff_800x537.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Rook_800x577.jpg
    Rook_800x577.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 113
Hi all.

I've been following this thread for a while.
Ive had my FZ18 for about 6 weeks,here's a few examples.
ASA 100 aperture priority.

graham

Attachments

• treecreep_1.jpg
    treecreep_1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 119
  • stone1_r.jpg
    stone1_r.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 112
  • dunnock1r.jpg
    dunnock1r.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 123
  • ltt1_r.jpg
    ltt1_r.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 122
  • blackbrid fr.jpg
    blackbrid fr.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 109
Hi all.

I've been following this thread for a while.
Ive had my FZ18 for about 6 weeks,here's a few examples.
ASA 100 aperture priority.

graham

Nice photos Graham. Since I got my camera I havn't seen one Treecreeper.
That and lesser spot are high on my list!
Are your other settings similar?

Brian.

Settings I am using (at the moment).

Aperture priority
Auto white balance
Intelligent ISO OFF
Sensitivity 100 iso
Pict. size 5EZ
Quality Fine
Metering mode Centre weighted
AF mode 1-area H speed
Stabilizer mode 2
Cont. AF OFF
D. zoom OFF
Pict.adj. Sharpness +1
Noise reduct. -2
Burst mode unlimited
EV -1/3
MF Assist MF1 (not used yet)

I would appreciate advice if these are not correct.The following pictures were taken using the above settings. The speeds are 1/320 for the Chiffs, 1/800 for the Buzzard and 1/640 for the rook.

Brian.

Thanks a lot for the info hopefully the weather will be good at the w/end and i will try these settings, some great photos Brian and Graham

Hello Brian

I'm quite new to digital photography, so I would'nt recommend you change your setting's
if it works for you stay with it.
The five pictures are all taken with the same settings, except the blackbird and dunnock
which were 3m-ez, all with tcon-17 fitted.

apperture priority
auto white balance
intelligent iso off
picture size 8m
quality fine
metering mode centre weighted
af mode 1 area focusing
stabilizer mode 2
cont af-on
sharpness - 0
noise reduction - 0
ev - 1/3
burst mode normal

graham

tripods?

Hi Guys, you've displayed a lot of impressive pictures taken with the Z18, at x20 with discussion on settings. However, I see no mention of whether tripods or other supports such as beanbags have been used. I should imagine that a support is mandatory when using the TCON-17. Or is the camera's image stabilisation good enough for handheld exposures? Rich

Hi Guys, you've displayed a lot of impressive pictures taken with the Z18, at x20 with discussion on settings. However, I see no mention of whether tripods or other supports such as beanbags have been used. I should imagine that a support is mandatory when using the TCON-17. Or is the camera's image stabilisation good enough for handheld exposures? Rich

Hiya,

I use a TCON-17 and the FZ18 I think all my shots were hand held.;)

Supports and great shots

Hi Kittykat, thanks for that. Some really excellent shots there. I loved the bramblings (having had just a few in the garden this winter after the invasion of two years ago), but the Flicker file shows you used a Fuji Finepix F31 FD (only max of 3 x zoom) for them . Is that correct? Rich

Hi Kittykat, thanks for that. Some really excellent shots there. I loved the bramblings (having had just a few in the garden this winter after the invasion of two years ago), but the Flicker file shows you used a Fuji Finepix F31 FD (only max of 3 x zoom) for them . Is that correct? Rich

Rich, I think Kittykat will tell you that the photos taken with the F31 were digiscoped. I agree they are among the best ones on her site and that is what's bugging me.

I am thinking about buying either a superzoom or DSLR camera to use in addition to, or instead of, my digiscoping equipment. DSLRs are a bit bulky and extremely expensive once you start buying big lenses. Superzooms are much cheaper and convenient but I have yet to see close up shots of birds from them which compare with well digiscoped photos. Unfortunately digiscoping is a rather laboured process and completely useless for flight shots.

So I still don't know whether to buy a superzoom and put up with the slightly compromised photos or shell out on a DSLR and hopefully get better image quality but have to put up with the extra weight and bulk. Or not bother with either. :-C

Ron

No simple answer

Rich, I think Kittykat will tell you that the photos taken with the F31 were digiscoped. I agree they are among the best ones on her site and that is what's bugging me.

I am thinking about buying either a superzoom or DSLR camera to use in addition to, or instead of, my digiscoping equipment. DSLRs are a bit bulky and extremely expensive once you start buying big lenses. Superzooms are much cheaper and convenient but I have yet to see close up shots of birds from them which compare with well digiscoped photos. Unfortunately digiscoping is a rather laboured process and completely useless for flight shots.

So I still don't know whether to buy a superzoom and put up with the slightly compromised photos or shell out on a DSLR and hopefully get better image quality but have to put up with the extra weight and bulk. Or not bother with either. :-C

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for that. Yes it seems there are no inexpensive convenient shortcuts to great pictures. In the quest for the impossible I have just acquired an Olympus SP-570UZ superzoom compact with x20 zoom and 10.1 mp. I have not come onto this forum to extol any virtues this camera may have over the Z18, but have found this thread to be an excellent resource of advice which can I'm sure be applied to any superzoom. I have posted some out-of-the-box trial shots on the appropriate sub-forum, and plan to put some better ones there once I am more practised with the settings. Incidentally a converter is still required for the same branded TCON-17 rather annoyingly. Anyway whilst not experienced with such techniques I can well imagine the hassles of digiscoping and DSLR-plus-lenses use. Maybe with continuing advances with stabilisation technology the ultimate point-and-shoot ultrazoom will come one day. Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back