• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID apps (1 Viewer)

wileskm49

Can anyone recommend a good ID app suitable for an android phone? At my age lugging a Collins Guide as well as optics etc is getting a bit tiresome and being a relatively new birder (born again after 50 years or so), I still need a source of reference from time to time.
As I have recently discovered the delights of autumn migration in SW Portugal (WOW!) any app would need to cover mainland Europe as well as dear Old Blighty.
Many thanks in anticipation and Season's Greetings to all.

I know nothing about these apps but pondering them for a minute has made me think of a question. The ones that provide an ID, do they tell you what diagnostic features they have identified or just tell you what species they think it is? If the latter, how do you learn?

John

Collins is the same as the printed guide in app form, with the addition of call recordings. The determination of id is up to you.

The id apps are either a key based question or answer narrowing down or they do picture analysis, which needs an Internet connection. The ones I've tried just give you an answer, or number of possible answers, with no rationale.

I know nothing about these apps but pondering them for a minute has made me think of a question. The ones that provide an ID, do they tell you what diagnostic features they have identified or just tell you what species they think it is? If the latter, how do you learn?
They don't tell you anything and most people don't learn anything either. They are happy with a name, even if it is complete nonsense.

This is based on how most Dutch/Belgian/German people use ID apps (I check plant observations on observation.org of which many get entered with such an app).
However, if you know these apps have their issues they can help to push you in the right direction (e.g. with beetles, shieldbugs or flies which I know nothing about).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back