• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Borgainvillia hotel, San Jose, Costa Rice (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

HelloI took this photograph on 4 March at the Bougainvillia hotel, San Jose. I have checked it on Merlin which states a Philadelphia Viro but it does not show in my book which maybe a few years out of date. Can I have a ID please. Mike

Attachments

• P3040072.jpeg
    P3040072.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 51
HelloI took this photograph on 4 March at the Bougainvillia hotel, San Jose. I have checked it on Merlin which states a Philadelphia Viro but it does not show in my book which maybe a few years out of date. Can I have a ID please. Mike
Which book? Philadelphia should be there I think

Have a look at yellow-green Vireo Mike(y)
No it's not this. Yellow-green looks more or less like red-eyed / Chivi vireo and very different to this. Philadelphia should be in the area as a northern winter migrant. Warbling should be a bit further north but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also there (ebird has it in CR). But this looks like Philadelphia to me.

I thought Philadelphia Vireo but I haven't seen that many

edit - my notebook tells me I saw a Philadelphia Vireo in that garden about 4 weeks ago

No it's not this. Yellow-green looks more or less like red-eyed / Chivi vireo and very different to this. Philadelphia should be in the area as a northern winter migrant. Warbling should be a bit further north but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also there (ebird has it in CR). But this looks like Philadelphia to me.
I think @THE_FERN is correct, I'd somehow completely forgotten that the boreal vireos were migratory, and could only remember Yellow-green from my time there (July/August).

How can you rule out Tennessee Warbler from this pic? I was there in January and they were everywhere. And Merlin went 1 for 10 for me at Bougainvllia, I gave up!

How can you rule out Tennessee Warbler from this pic? I was there in January and they were everywhere. And Merlin went 1 for 10 for me at Bougainvllia, I gave up!
My impression from shape is Vireo. Tennessee Warbler should have white underside and especially undertail coverts, and I think the impression of yellow in this bird is real.

Niels

Not a Tennessee warbler. That always reminds me of a Eurasian chiffchaff which this doesn't. More concretely, this doesn't have the elongated warbler shape, bill wrong, small beady eye lost in face is wrong etc (and note Niels's comments)

Yes, I saw both, I think. :) Many more Tennessee. I wasn't arguing either way, I'm often amazed at some of the features you all pull from photos that I just can't see.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back