• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Please W AK USA St. Lawrence Island (1 Viewer)

Rufles

Came upon this little bird today that, unless I missed it, I couldn't find in my bird book.
TIA
EDIT: Going through my bird book once again, it looks like it might be
a first fall Bluethroat?

51383466306_7179f42c0b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ruffles, I see Bluethroat often in Germany especially in the north or in the east. How common is it on St Lawrence? Must be a great place to live. I miss my time in the Outer Hebrides and on St Kilda specifically. We had the Gulf Stream to keep us warm. It was windy as remote islands often are. Hows life up there?

Nice capture. The pattern of the outer tail feathers (well visible in this picture) is IMO one of the most important ID features in this species.

Thank you.
Hi Ruffles, I see Bluethroat often in Germany especially in the north or in the east. How common is it on St Lawrence? Must be a great place to live. I miss my time in the Outer Hebrides and on St Kilda specifically. We had the Gulf Stream to keep us warm. It was windy as remote islands often are. Hows life up there?
Hello Andy, they are regular migrants on St. Lawrence Island. This is only the second time I've gotten a photo of a Bluethroat. The other was an adult I found earlier this summer. It's been kind of windy, foggy and rain this summer. It's been a pretty cool summer, last year was pretty warm compared to this year.
Nice capture. The pattern of the outer tail feathers (well visible in this picture) is IMO one of the most important ID features in this species.
Thank you, Sangahyando. Something to keep in mind the next time I see one.

Hello Andy, they are regular migrants on St. Lawrence Island. This is only the second time I've gotten a photo of a Bluethroat. The other was an adult I found earlier this summer. It's been kind of windy, foggy and rain this summer. It's been a pretty cool summer, last year was pretty warm compared to this year.
Your photo is excellent btw. I guess this summer is over, more or less. May be a better one next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back