• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this Tern please guy's (2 Viewers)

chigman

England
Hi all. Just see this bird over the Easter weekend, but having never seen one before I am not entirely sure what it is. A formal ID would be great :t:

I was wondering whether it is a Black Tern?

Attachments

• Tern1.jpg
    Tern1.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Tern2.jpg
    Tern2.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 136
The last image looks like a Little Gull, and the Tern....with that underwing why not a White-winged Tern?

Cheers

....with that underwing why not a White-winged Tern?

Cheers

Exactly because of that underwing. WWT have black underwing coverts that are highly contrasting with pale flight-feather bases. The OP bird shows a typical Black Tern underwing pattern.

The last image looks like a Little Gull, and the Tern....with that underwing why not a White-winged Tern?

Cheers

Not a white-winged tern as that would have strong contrast between the pale flight feathers and the otherwise black underwing. This is uniform greyish = black tern.

Exactly because of that underwing. WWT have black underwing coverts that are highly contrasting with pale flight-feather bases. The OP bird shows a typical Black Tern underwing pattern.

Am totally aware of what a full adult WWT would look like regarding black underwing coverts, it’s the contrasting dark contrasting leading edge to the primaries that looked a bit odd, thus leading me to wonder if the bird’s black underwing coverts are yet to emerge, I don’t know the moult strategy of Marsh Terns?

Am totally aware of what a full adult WWT would look like regarding black underwing coverts,

That's an adult there, with an adult plumage. First summers (WWT and BT) stay in Africa, if that's what you mean re moult strategies...

EDIT: on the moult question: WWT go from white (winter plumage) straight to black underwing coverts (summer), with never going through grey, if that's what you were asking.

Last edited:
That's an adult there, with an adult plumage. First summers (WWT and BT) stay in Africa, if that's what you mean re moult strategies...

EDIT: on the moult question: WWT go from white (winter plumage) straight to black underwing coverts (summer), with never going through grey, if that's what you were asking.

That’s useful to know.👍

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back