• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID: Weasel or Stoat? (1 Viewer)

lanius.bg said:
Hi Ben,
Although I do not have experience with stoats (only 1-2 unconfirmed records in Bulgaria), it seems a Weasel to me - thus agree with most other opinions.

Recently we came upon a Weasel watching for a Water Vole (Arvicola terrestris) in a canal. The weasel was not shy at all and we managed to take some good shots:

http://www.fotobiota.com/page4.php?sec=gal&t_id=1&g_id=249&maincat=1

Greetings!
Boris
Thanks Boris... great photos |=)|

motacilla oenenthe said:
wolverines have been known to seriously injure humans
when my father was working in canada they used to take their garbage to the dump on a pick up.the grizzlies would come down a rummage through the bags.the only thing that would get them off the bag was the appearance of a wolverine!

AC/DC said:
...i was amazed at how it could carry off a rabbit twice, sometimes three, times the size of it!

It is amazing! The stoat that I observed tugging on the roadkill rabbit darted off into the undergrowth as a car passed by (i had pulled over to the side so wasn't actually on the road) and I worried that it may end up as roadkill itself if it came back out to retrieve it's rabbit. So I got out of the car and picked the rabbit up by it's ears and put it into deep grass away from the verge. I was astounded at just HOW heavy that rabbit was and how the stoat had managed to tug it along so well.

Is this a weasel?

Took this photo this morning. I'm pretty sure its a weasel as I looked for the black tip to the tail and didn't see it, plus it seemed very small. (Look at those nettles in the background for comparison). Grateful for your views though!

Attachments

• 2482912760_f5fa401aff.jpg
    2482912760_f5fa401aff.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 180
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back