• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iduna warbler from west India (1 Viewer)

Dhyey13

India
Hello all!
Back in 14th of January 2022, I was on a trip in Kutch (Gujarat, India). At our lodgings, I saw a little brown bird foraging in the Casuarina trees. The bird also was making a 'click' call that is common among all the LBJs here. The behavior, size, head shape, etc all leading to Sykes's Warbler (I. rama). The bird showed a tail movement (up and down) sometimes while moving (in the pictures attached, please see DSC_0385 which show the tail to be missing but is actually up). The bird then uttered a new type of call (uploaded as Iduna sp_02) which I hadn't heard before. On going through the call recordings of Sykes's Warbler in the Macaulay Library and Xeno-canto collections, I couldn't find a match. Wanted to get opinions on this bird since there has been always a probability of Eastern Olivaceous Warblers visiting India. Solid proof hasn't been collected though yet. Please see below attached images and call recordings. Also attaching the eBird checklist wherein the bird is listed as Iduna sp. : https://ebird.org/checklist/S100745114

TIA,
Dhyey

Attachments

• DSC_0365.JPG
    11.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0369.jpg
    DSC_0369.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_0376.jpg
    DSC_0376.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0383.jpg
    DSC_0383.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Iduna sp_01.mp3
    261.8 KB
  • Iduna sp_02.mp3
    224.4 KB
Last edited:
Visually this looks like Sykes's to me, and the dry "tkk" call, like two pebbles being clicked together, in the 2nd recording sounds typical. The calls in the 1st recording are unfamiliar but I see no reason to call this an EOW.

Visually this looks like Sykes's to me, and the dry "tkk" call, like two pebbles being clicked together, in the 2nd recording sounds typical. The calls in the 1st recording are unfamiliar but I see no reason to call this an EOW.
Thanks a lot! Closing it as Sykes's Warbler. The longer call confused me but the click call was sounding like Sykes's!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back