• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm Back, Today photographed 2 species. One a Griffon and the second need its Id. It looks like the Cinereous Vulture. (1 Viewer)

Hi Ains

Cinereous Vulture for no.2 (as you can see the darker underwing coverts contrasting with paler flight feathers is diagnostic, also more obvious head in flight than gyps species and lacks the obvious ‘s’ shaped wings when soaring compared to the other species you’ve had.). I’m not convinced the first one is a Eurasian - imm. fulvescens in India can be very streaked but they also show more extensive white on the median and greater coverts. The short lesser covert (patagium) bar is fine for Eurasian however, the pale covert band looks short (pro-Himalayan) and only includes the median coverts rather than extending to the the greater and primary underwing coverts. The ground colour on my monitor looks quite greyish brown lacking the deep ochre of a typical Eurasian (although some can be quite dark) and as with your other image of Himalayan recently, this also looks very large bodied and particularly broad-winged with a comparatively ample hand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back