• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Im fuming (1 Viewer)

tourerjim

:storm: Im fuming and i cant do nothing about it now. Nabour of mine back last spring has chopped down three big conifur trees and now the birds are gone except the sparrows.
The robins are gone blue tits and all my seasonal birds have all gone evan my friendly blackbirds.
The food i always leave out is only eaten by the sparrows/stairlings.
All i have is 9ft high conifur hedging around my garden so plenty of protection for the birds but dont seem to bring them back.
Will they come back or do i need something else that will do the job.

I feel for you, as you said there is nothing you can do about it if they were on his property. He must be a complete A***hole. Be evil and try to work out a way to get your own back or just smack him on the nose. (depending on size of coarse).

tourerjim said:
:storm: Im fuming and i cant do nothing about it now. Nabour of mine back last spring has chopped down three big conifur trees and now the birds are gone except the sparrows.
The robins are gone blue tits and all my seasonal birds have all gone evan my friendly blackbirds.
All i have is 9ft high conifur hedging around my garden so plenty of protection for the birds but dont seem to bring them back.
Depending on the size of your garden, you could just re-do your own. My garden is tiny (less than half a tennis court), and I get all the birds you mentioned above (except housesparrows, which have disappeared from the area). None of the neighbours in adjoining or nearby gardens have any foliage to speak of. I have a birch tree (which the birds like as a safe landing spot), plus pyrocantha on the fences for berries and a few shrubs around the edges. This winter I´ve had 24 species, my favourites being Blackcap, Long-Tailed Tit, Goldcrest and Sparrowhawk. I bet if you got yourself a sizable Silver Birch Tree from a good nursery and planted it this Spring, plus six or seven pyrocantha to grow as climber around the edges, you´d have a host of visitors next winter. Vary the food too, peanuts, niger seeds, apples, fat balls, etc. etc. Best of Luck, be Zen and don´t worry about the neighbour, look on the bright side at least you still have Housesparrows!

tourerjim said:

I thought it was usually the growing of tall conifers that causes the upset between neighbours!

As the previous poster states, there should be things you can do to attract birds to your garden area. I wouldn't have thought that the conifer trees themselves would be of the greatest value except as perching sites for the species mentioned. Now if you had lost Goldcrests, Crossbills and Goshawks I would Fume!!!!!
But you should be able to get the birds back, maybe by replacing portions of your own conifer hedge with more native species.

And don't forget, others have mentioned on birdforum that they have seen less birds this winter, the main reason probably being the exceptionally mild winter with plenty of other food sources out there.

(There was another thread recently, someone was asking what tree to plant, Rowan was another popular choice.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back