• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BN 8x32's back (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
I've just had my BN's back from Leica today.
I bought some 'as new' BN's recently after getting some older ones, and loving them.
Whilst un-used, they were still nearly 18 years old, so I asked Leica to give them the once over, mainly to ensure waterproofness, as I will be using these beauties as my main bins.
Anyway, all sorted, cleaned, sealed, greased and perfect.... all free.
Superb service from Leica.... very grateful(y)20230519_181153~2.jpg

We recently got our BN 10x32 back (also FOC) with recalibrated diopter; the focuser was lubricated very nicely too, and the view seems sharper than ever. Used for 20+ years but well cared for (except for a fall last year) and still looking nearly as good as yours. A true classic. Enjoy it!

I bought some 'as new' BN's recently after getting some older ones, and loving them.
Whilst un-used, they were still nearly 18 years old, so I asked Leica to give them the once over, mainly to ensure waterproofness, as I will be using these beauties as my main bins.
Superb service from Leica.... very grateful(y)View attachment 1510943
What a lovely pictures.

Enjoy in good health (y)

Use them well!

Arthur

A thing of beauty 🙏

Enjoy in good health. What are the first three digits of the serial number, I wonder? Hopefully, they are post 145, as I heard the lenses are phase coated then. Nevertheless, it is a legendary model and regarded by many to be among the best birding pair of binoculars, ever.

Enjoy in good health. What are the first three digits of the serial number, I wonder? Hopefully, they are post 145, as I heard the lenses are phase coated then. Nevertheless, it is a legendary model and regarded by many to be among the best birding pair of binoculars, ever.
154's.... very late model... I was very lucky to find an un-used pair (y)
My first ones were ealier pre 145's and in all honesty there isn't much difference.... those ones had also come back from Leica service.
It would be interesting to do a direct comparison now, but the early ones have been sold on.

I believe all of the BA's and BN's are phase coated. In the 8x32 there is very little difference between them.
Jerry

154's.... very late model... I was very lucky to find an un-used pair (y)
My first ones were ealier pre 145's and in all honesty there isn't much difference.... those ones had also come back from Leica service.
It would be interesting to do a direct comparison now, but the early ones have been sold on.

With that kind of luck, you should play the lottery in case lightning strikes twice..

These are total beauties. A great way to retire somewhere. :)

Brock

Last edited:
With that kind of luck, you should play the lottery in case lightning strikes twice..

These are total beauties. A great way to retire somewhere. :)

Brock
Yes, thank you.
I feel very lucky to have these, and in all my years of bino ownership, these are without doubt my all time favourites.

Yes, thank you.
I feel very lucky to have these, and in all my years of bino ownership, these are without doubt my all time favourites.
Have you tried the 8x32 Ultravid? Ergonomically the two models are different, the UV is smaller, lighter, and without the thick ribbed armoring. The focuser and diopter appear to be the same. But I wonder how they compare optically?

Have you tried the 8x32 Ultravid? Ergonomically the two models are different, the UV is smaller, lighter, and without the thick ribbed armoring. The focuser and diopter appear to be the same. But I wonder how they compare optically?
Yes, when I bought my first BN's I lined them up against the new Trinovid and the Ultravid.
The BN's are much better than the new Trinovid, and optically really close to the Ultravids. Surprisingly close.
I actually prefer the ergonomics of the BN's over the Ultras, and I also happen to love the look of them, a real classic in my eyes.
I was in the fortunate position to have had any of the three, and I walked out with the BN's.... no regrets!

Last edited:
But I wonder how they compare optically?
There are curiously contrary opinions on this. With the advantage of dielectric mirrors, HT glass, and further improved coatings one would expect UV to be clearly superior to BA/BN, as some say it is, though seldom specifically how. But at least in the 32s Rg and I tried, the brightness difference seems minimal (could the prisms have got smaller?) and the contrast a bit lighter (which I actually like), while otherwise the overall character is very similar. If you like one you'd like the other, but it leaves some wondering whether UVs are worth the difference. They're cute, but for me, no. (At 10x, even the lighter weight and slimmer profile weren't clearly advantageous.)

If the BN's and Ultra's were the same price I would have still struggled to choose.
The Ultras are possibly a tad better optically perhaps, but it is close. The BN's have a lovely saturated calm view, not clinical.
I love them, and they leave me wanting nothing, and the fact I've always loved BN's, their feel and build, would have made it a hard choice.
The fact the BN's were £675, and the Ultra's £1360..... well that really seals the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back