• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In AND around Sunderland (1 Viewer)

Its not ideal viewing at such a distance and a decent scope is pretty essential I'd say but its worth the effort and the white winged Gulls are usually easy enough to pick out.

A nice skien of Pinkies heading up the coast as I walked home at lunch time.

Saw a skien of around 100 pinkies about tweve o'clock along sandhaven beach in shields today

Attachments

• skien.jpg
    skien.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Not far outside the Sunderland area, the recently thawed pools at Houghton Gate (Ch-le-Street district) attracting several hundred Curlew & the first Shelduck back to lay claim to his territory.
Closeby the Chester riverside park area continues its decent run, a Chiffchaff being seen at the weekend, the Whooper has returned from its trip to Frankland & Scaup, Mandarin & occasional Green Sand add interest.
Elsewhere in the East of the Ch-le-St area, sad news with 2 dead Barnies - victims of the recent snows.

Hi, just wondering- seems to be alot of reports of Iceland Gull at south pier- could someone tell me where this is please?
Also, Does anyone have any regular ssites for little owls? A species I regularly fail to catch up with!
Thread going well.
BM

Not far outside the Sunderland area, the recently thawed pools at Houghton Gate (Ch-le-Street district) attracting several hundred Curlew & the first Shelduck back to lay claim to his territory.
Closeby the Chester riverside park area continues its decent run, a Chiffchaff being seen at the weekend, the Whooper has returned from its trip to Frankland & Scaup, Mandarin & occasional Green Sand add interest.
Elsewhere in the East of the Ch-le-St area, sad news with 2 dead Barnies - victims of the recent snows.

No sign of any Barn Owls locally here, last saw one just before Christmas. Also news of a dead bird not far from Great Lumley/Chester-le-Street. I hope the Durham birds will bounce back.

Hi, just wondering- seems to be alot of reports of Iceland Gull at south pier- could someone tell me where this is please?
Also, Does anyone have any regular ssites for little owls? A species I regularly fail to catch up with!
Thread going well.
BM

Little Owls are very site faithfull. - Any country lane with a few mature hedgerow trees is a good starting point.
There are 50 Little Owl territories in each of these 10KM square - NZ 23 / NZ24 / NZ34 .
Good Luck.

Last edited:
owls & boxes

No sign of any Barn Owls locally here, last saw one just before Christmas. Also news of a dead bird not far from Great Lumley/Chester-le-Street. I hope the Durham birds will bounce back.

Its taken me 5 specific visits to connect with local BO this year.... a bit worrying realy :eek!: (not a bit like last years tarty New Years Day one... ;) )

On a positive note,
I have just taken delivery of the next batch of BO boxes, destined for the Teesdale area.

Rainton Meadows tomorrow,
there may be a bit disturbance, as we have powered access platform coming to enable us to get that pole mounted Kes/Tawny box back up at Pool 1 - just in the nick of time....

Last edited:
Had a more succesful visit to Hawthorn Dene this morning, saw several Marsh Tits,5 Nuthatch and 5 Treecreeper but sadly no sign of any Woodpeckers but theres always next time.

Attachments

• tn_016.JPG
    tn_016.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_021.JPG
    tn_021.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 21
  • tn_023.JPG
    tn_023.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 24
Started off at Marsden quarry this afternoon where both Little Owls and this Sparrowhawk put on a nice show. From there I went down to the coast and made my way back along the front,at least a Dozen Shags including 2 Ringed birds,lots of Fulmars 4 Eiders and a RT Diver north.

Attachments

• tn_025.JPG
    tn_025.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 40
  • tn_031.JPG
    tn_031.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 27
  • tn_032.JPG
    tn_032.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tn_038.JPG
    tn_038.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 25
  • tn_045.JPG
    tn_045.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
RMs

this morning we had the luxury of powered access from one of DWT Corporate Supporters - allowing us to get the Kes/Tawny box back on its pole. We enjoyed a different perspective of the reserve from 45' up ! before continuing with a few other tasks.

2 Water Rails were going at it hammer & tongs & a Treecreeper all in the car park area.

first time in months i havnt been able to see Long-eared from the public footpath..... one roost which has been holding up to 7 birds completely evacuated

havnt heard of anyone seeing the Bittern over the last week or so - its probably been booted off the reserve too...

On the whole a productive visit

To end on another positive - a Houghton World Record courtesy of Mr Heron, - 16 ( !) Buzzard in Chester airspace over Lambton Estate - viewed from Sunderland of course.

http://wearewandering.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Barn-x2-19_JAN_2011-024.gif
    Barn-x2-19_JAN_2011-024.gif
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
  • View19_JAN_2011-012.gif
    View19_JAN_2011-012.gif
    124.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Sunset19_JAN_2011-045.gif
    Sunset19_JAN_2011-045.gif
    85.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Lift19_JAN_2011-019.gif
    Lift19_JAN_2011-019.gif
    180.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
gets any pics of the caspian gulls, or where they at distance?

Sadly no images, they were distant and often obscured by either the dump, fence, or the young trees behind the fence.

A good excuse to go out and find one in the Durham recording area, I reckon South Pier might have one this winter. They are still rare birds north of the humber so a good find for the North East.

Started off at Marsden quarry this afternoon where both Little Owls and this Sparrowhawk put on a nice show. From there I went down to the coast and made my way back along the front,at least a Dozen Shags including 2 Ringed birds,lots of Fulmars 4 Eiders and a RT Diver north.

looks like that spuggyhawk has a crop full of small bird

Sadly no images, they were distant and often obscured by either the dump, fence, or the young trees behind the fence.

A good excuse to go out and find one in the Durham recording area, I reckon South Pier might have one this winter. They are still rare birds north of the humber so a good find for the North East.

I think you'll struggle with a potential Caspian Gull on the south pier. It's around 0.5km from the usual watchpoint to the pier and I think it'll be stretching it to see the iris colour, exact tertial pattern, details of fine head streaking etc of a gull that far away. Birds which look potentially good at distance can sometimes look rather disappointing close up. Rainton Meadows and Houghton landfill attract much better numbers of gulls and you can get pretty decent views. I think this will be the key to getting a Caspian in the next month or so (peak time for records in the county).
South Pier - great for 'obvious' birds like Iceland and Glaucs, not much good for gulls where you need to confirm fine feather detail.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back