• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

IN PRAISE OF THE SWAROVSKI 12X42 NL PURE (1 Viewer)

Grando

I realise that a 12x isn't a replacement for a scope, but wonder if 12x NL owners find themselves visiting wetlands etc. with just their bins? I currently have a pair of 7s and feel a bit underpowered without a scope, but would love to ditch the tyranny of lugging around a tripod that I then never use! Would a pair of 12x NLs often negate the use of a scope do you think?

jcnguyen09

The question is will other binocular makers pick up on the forehead rest I think they will! It's not just the help it gives for a steady image, but, the way it positions the eyepieces to your eyes perfectly every time.
Pete.
Especially for the glasses wearers like me! I don't have to press the glasses into the eyecups and mess up my glasses position. It helps to give me the perfect eye placement every times. It is a pleasant, easy feeling and enjoyable much more while using the binoculars, even on the 8x power. For sure Swarovski would fight hard to keep this marvelous patent only on it's name, just like they found hard to keep the proprietary open-bridge EL style from Nikon EDG. Ironically they ended up with closed-bridge NL.

SUPPRESSOR

England
I realise that a 12x isn't a replacement for a scope, but wonder if 12x NL owners find themselves visiting wetlands etc. with just their bins? I currently have a pair of 7s and feel a bit underpowered without a scope, but would love to ditch the tyranny of lugging around a tripod that I then never use! Would a pair of 12x NLs often negate the use of a scope do you think?
Sometimes only a scope will do,but, depends on the type of birding you do.I have sold mine,mostly to free myself of the faff of putting it up taking it down.in the boot out of the boot ,keeping a watchful eye on it on a windy day, all that mag all that heat haze. So far I have not missed it.,but, who knows.
Will my 12x42 bins be enough for the birding I do most of ,yes.
I was not needing a £3,000 scope to sit around most of the time doing nothing, different if you live somewhere with a view.
Pete.

jcnguyen09

The 12x NL is perfect on the wetlands for me! The 339' FOV is wide enough and the 71 degree AFOV really makes the difference! and with the FRP, it is the best handheld able 12x powers for me! handheld able is probably the most valuable factor for me since I love to view the details of the birds, wildlives....Anything closed up said within 100', they are amazing! A long distance, it's better on the mono or tripod.

SUPPRESSOR

England
I like to go out birding on my own and if I come across more than 3,people on a 3,hour walk I feel hard done by and not so easy with scope and tripod as soon as you put those legs up you have a crowd asking all sorts of questions and not always about birds.Had a great afternoon today only 1, person all afternoon in my local extensive woods.
As the wife puts it when I"m out on my bike(I am in blissful isolation) just how I like my birding so getting rid of my scope has freed me up in more ways than one and am no longer accosted by any Emmits.

rpg51

Supporter
The power of the binos is 12x. The power of the scope is typically 25x to 60x. That is a major difference. Some situations the 12x will be all you need. Other situations you want the higher power. But yes, the scope involves a lot of futzing around and yes, it attracts a lot of attention that can get in the way sometimes.

tenex

reality-based
I realise that a 12x isn't a replacement for a scope, but wonder if 12x NL owners find themselves visiting wetlands etc. with just their bins?
I often do so with my 15x56, and even that can't really substitute for a scope, but I'm usually satisfied with it nonetheless as the best I can conveniently carry and hold. 12x wouldn't do it for me, just not significantly better than the 10x I normally carry. Then again, if you're accustomed to your 7x, you would find 12x a major improvement... and most people don't seem to find 15x handholdable, so there you are. Save your groschen.

rpg51

Supporter
I too wonder about whether I will end up with my scope long term. I had a scope years ago and ultimately sold it because I never used it much. Hope that doesn't happen with this new scope I picked up. But, stuff has to get used or it will go down the road.

Maljunulo

I feel the same way, but I really hate to sell anything, so I have a difficulty.

If you have a decent scope you can't think of anything else to do with, take up double star chasing.

You will be surprised at the beauty of them.

Start with Mizar in the big dipper, one of the easiest.

SUPPRESSOR

England
I too wonder about whether I will end up with my scope long term. I had a scope years ago and ultimately sold it because I never used it much. Hope that doesn't happen with this new scope I picked up. But, stuff has to get used or it will go down the road.
Still not missing my scope and still most impressed with the 12x42's .Focused on a ringlet no more than 6.5 feet away just a lovely view.
I find the forehead rest gives the best results closer in, really steady views.

As far as DOF goes ,it's bound to be less than smaller magnifications ,but, so quick and easy with super smooth focuser to keep the view sharp.All in all just a state of the art binocular.

Pete.

Last edited:

rpg51

Supporter
I feel the same way, but I really hate to sell anything, so I have a difficulty.

If you have a decent scope you can't think of anything else to do with, take up double star chasing.

You will be surprised at the beauty of them.

Start with Mizar in the big dipper, one of the easiest.
Good suggestion. I got out tonight and had a nice look at Saturn.

Users who are viewing this thread