• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In search of the white Black Bear (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
I have spent the past few days searching the rain forest for a white Black Bear. To my surprise, I found one. The white bear is not an albino. Albinos have pink eyes and nose. This bear has black eyes, nose, lips and pads on its feet. Albinism is caused by a defect that results in a lack of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes. This is not the case for this white bear. It has no defect and no lack of pigment. Nor is it related in any way to Polar Bears. It is simply a Black Bear with white fur.
These white bears are known as Kermoda Bears and are supposedly a subspecies of the Black Bear known as Ursus americanus kermodel but this does not make sense to me. Bears often have twins and one could be white and the other black. How can a bear be a different species than its twin brother? How can a bear be a different species than its mother? Like a person that has red hair, this is not a subspecies but simply the same species with a different colour fur. Grizzlies come in many colours from light tan to dark brown, but not white. Many birds have colour morphs and are not seen as a subspecies.
These white bears exist only in Canada. To be more specific, they exist only in west central British Columbia. There are none in any other country, in the wild nor in zoos. There is only one in a zoo and that is also in British Columbia. Black Bears are common throughout most of North America but only in this small area do they have the genes that produce white fur.
I am no scientist but the way I understand this is that genes are made up of alleles that determine the traits of the animals such as blood type, colour of hair, colour of eyes, etc. Some alleles are dominant and some are recessive. In the case of the Black Bear there are six possible matches as follows:
Two black-coloured bears that both have dominate black alleles will produce black cubs.
If two black-coloured bears mate and one has dominate black alleles and the other has one dominate and one recessive allele, the resulting cubs will be black.
If a black-coloured bear with dominate alleles mates with a white bear that has recessive alleles, all the cubs will be black.
If two black-coloured bears mate that both have one dominate and one recessive allele, 25% of the offspring will be white.
If a black-coloured bear with one dominate and one recessive allele mates with a white bear that has only recessive alleles, half of the offspring will be white.
If two white bears mate, the cubs will be white.
This is complicated. The photos of a chart that I am including can explain it better than I.
Kermoda bears are known to the native Indians of the area as Spirit Bears and were not hunted as black-coloured bears were. When the first white trappers appeared in the area, the natives did not tell them about the existence of the white bears. This was a very good thing. Had the hunters and trappers of the 1800's known about these bears they would have been hunted for their fur and possibly wiped out.
My photos of this bear are not sharp because they were taken at a great distance in poor light at sunset. Although the pictures are not best, I was thrilled to see this animal. The population of white Black Bears is unknown but is estimated to be somewhere between 400 and 1,000.
They are very rare. Has anyone else in this forum seen one?

Attachments

• DSC_3138.JPG
    DSC_3138.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 84
  • genetics-white-black-bear[1].jpg
    genetics-white-black-bear[1].jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 117
Hi MJ,
nice photo, with regards to the subspecies, it seems kermodei is the whole BC coastal subpopulation, including both black and white individuals so brothers and mothers all definitely belong to the same subspecies regardless of their colour. I guess one of the distinguishing features of kermodei is the high rate of the white morph. Not sure if that morph ever occurs in other subspecies?
cheers,
James
James

Hi Jay
Tis a bit more complicated than one might think but James is right Kermode Bear is the local BC subspecies of black bear of which 1/10 are "white" and those white bears are the "Spirit Bears":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear
Well done on finding one - I was delighted just to be lucky enough to find the normal black form in my brief time in Canada.

Hi Isurus, I read the Wikipedia link that you provided. A lot of articles refer to the Kermoda as being a white bear but now I see your link and another (http://www.bearsoftheworld.net/kermode_bears.asp) that refer to the entire population. So any bear, regardless of colour, that carries a certain gene is a Kermoda bear? Some of the things in these articles are ambiguous. One article says that Kermoda bears are so rare that hardly anyone ever sees them, yet the black-coloured ones are fairly common. I saw many black ones. If there are 1,000 or so Kermoda bears, then there must be only about 100 to 200 white ones. In the same article it says that the Kermoda bear is known as the spirit bear, but in other articles this term applies only to the white ones. Confusing! My apologies to James. It was not easy to find one. I wish I had got a better photo. The bear was at least 100 metres away and the sun was setting so not enough light for my 500mm lens. In the original photo, the bear is very tiny. The photo is heavily cropped and enlarged which further degrades the quality. Anyways, it was wonderful to see and I watched it for about 30 minutes. Had a good look with my binoculars. I am determined to go back and get some better photos.

Hi MJ,
i guess the informal kermode bear or spirit bear names might only refer to the white bears, but these aren't scientific or systematic names.
However the subspecific name kermodei refers to the whole pop including black and white individuals. as you say it could not possibly be otherwise!
James

Yes, that makes more sense James. As I said in the first post, it did not make sense to me that a bear could be a different species than its mother, but if black as well as white are included in the subspecies, then it makes sense. Apart from the scientific aspect, it was wonderful to see a white bear. The black ones just look like other Black Bears, which I see all the time. I hope to find another one and get better photos. Got some great shots of Grizzly close up in Alaska. The Polar Bear is next on my list.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back