• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured seagull, mother of young chick (1 Viewer)

Sunflower

United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a family of seagulls on my roof the last few weeks. The chick is just over 2 weeks old. The last couple of days, I've noticed the mother has been very quiet and not sitting on the telephone mast pole as I had been doing for a few days prior, staying on the roof instead. I noticed tonight that it's hopping on one leg, but it can still fly. Any advice to help the seagull? I'm giving it food and water.

Thanks for your reply, the seagull's leg seems to be healing well. I have another question. The chick is now around 6 weeks old and started trying to flow up to a ledge from my flat roof 3 days ago. I then saw it flying a couple of feet a few times on my flat roof yesterday. Today it's not there but the parents are, so I'm a bit worried something has happened to it. I heard quite a bit of squawking early this morning but didn't investigate as I do hear them sometimes in the morning. I can't imagine it would be able to fly far away after only being able to fly a couple of feet yesterday! Could it be on another roof nearby? Do you think it will come back?

I don't think you can do anything apart from sit and wait... it's nerve wracking, but I imagine it's just tried its wings a little. Keep us posted!
Thanks maplekong. Do the chicks normally come back after they've flown off for the first time? And do the parents stay a while after the chick has left?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back