• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (2 Viewers)

Latest News:

29 native-breed Longhorn cows were delivered by Cheshire Wildlife Trust’s Conservation Grazing Team to RSPB Inner Marsh Farm on Tuesday 29th June.

They can remove tough grasses allowing wildflowers to flourish and even eat trees keeping the wetland in prime condition for birds such as the lapwing.

The crack team of monster-munchers have a busy diary travelling from site to site across Cheshire and will become a vital cog in the management of IMF and the reserve’s upcoming extension...

Recent Bird Sightings:
4 spotted redshank (sum pl)
1 ruff
1 little ringed plover
1 greenshank (sum pl)
2 oystercatchers
1 curlew (heard)
150+ Black-tailed godwits
100+ lapwing
juv water rail
20+ juv little egrets
3 mute swans
female sparrowhawk
juv gt spot woodpecker

See you down there:t:

Three new "Behind the scenes" walks at Burton Mere:

Saturday 31st July
Saturday 28th August
Saturday 25th September

All at 2pm, booking is essential so phone 0151 336 7681

Had a trip over on sunday did not see the spotted redshank but saw dunlin ,knot ,hobby ,water rail,ruff,sparrow hawk,kestral,l r p , green sandpiper,and masses of blacktail godwits and little egrets :t:

this is the best shot i could get of the water rail it would not venture out of the reeds

Attachments

• i m f   rail.JPG
    i m f rail.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 94
Friday 23rd July: 15.00 - 16.30hrs of note were

2 Ruff
Hobby flying over the back of the pool, then over right hand side of hide... great clear views.
Juvenile Redshank
Common Sandpiper

Sadly no sign of Wood or Green sands though.

On the path to the hide are Masses of Gatekeepers butterflys

Dave

Last edited:
Hi

Popped in yesterday in the hope of seing the Lesser Yellow Leg but this had moved before Lesley and me turned up.

Did manage to see the following

Black Tailed Godwit (one was ringed Yellow & Red Left leg, Red then Green right leg)
Little Egret
Hobby
Red Shank
Ruff
Grey Heron
Buzzard
Lapwing
Oystercatcher with a couple of young

Tim.

Hi

Popped in yesterday in the hope of seing the Lesser Yellow Leg but this had moved before Lesley and me turned up.

Did manage to see the following

Black Tailed Godwit (one was ringed Yellow & Red Left leg, Red then Green right leg)
Little Egret
Hobby
Red Shank
Ruff
Grey Heron
Buzzard
Lapwing
Oystercatcher with a couple of young

Tim.

Glad you had the Hobby. I was there earlier when the Hobby flushed all the waders including the Yellowlegs. The Yellowlegs seemed to be favouring two areas, the back of the No1 tank where the juv Egrets roost and the spit opposite the hide.

CB

Both Oyc young present late afternoon and all evening, one parent feeeding them returning every 10 mins or so.

At least 6 Green Sand on no 1 plus the Yellowlegs, 2 Dunlin, and a Ruff on No 2.

Overheard in the hide this weekend "It'll be awful when all the work is completed, we'll have members of the public here".....

Both Oyc young present late afternoon and all evening, one parent feeeding them returning every 10 mins or so.

At least 6 Green Sand on no 1 plus the Yellowlegs, 2 Dunlin, and a Ruff on No 2.

Overheard in the hide this weekend "It'll be awful when all the work is completed, we'll have members of the public here".....

Nice one Rob.
I was lucky enough to see it from the hide Saturday when there were initially only two people in there!

Attachments

• Lesser Yellowlegs 010810.jpg
    Lesser Yellowlegs 010810.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 94

Actually heard some good banter there and several familiar faces also seen. Some commented that the walk from the car park overlooking the reserve was the most enjoyable part of the reserve.

CB

I forgot to say, presumably in response to my repeated criticisms of the noise level in the hide at IMF someone tried pretty hard to run me over as I walked from the overflow car park, and, inevitably didn't apologise!

I forgot to say, presumably in response to my repeated criticisms of the noise level in the hide at IMF someone tried pretty hard to run me over as I walked from the overflow car park, and, inevitably didn't apologise!

Thats disgraceful behaviour!! While I was there thankfully there was little for me to complain about.

CB

1 lesser yellowlegs no1 showing well most the time
3+ green sands no1
3 ruff no2
6 little egret
10+ black tailed godwit
2 ravenand the two oystercatcher chicks swiming follwoing a coot was very entertaining

Actually heard some good banter there and several familiar faces also seen. Some commented that the walk from the car park overlooking the reserve was the most enjoyable part of the reserve.

CB

Don't worry too much, I can assure you that when the new section of the reserve is open access will still be granted all the way up to the bench allowing for scoping of No 1. Also a viewpoint will be placed at the bottom of this field giving even closer views of the back of No1. In addition the bridge over the railway will be opened up and a path to Burton Point will be put in place, this also gives some great elevation over all 3 pools at IMF and when you reach the point the views of the entire estuary are stunning.

Lesser Yellowlegs seen again today.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back