• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

That's interesting.

The bird being called late afternoon was to the right with the main flock of Lapwing/Golden Plover.

There was a calidrid on the island straight out but everyone was happy that was a Dunlin!

Now I'm worried that there were indeed two CS and I dismissed both as Dunlin. Mind you, if I did make a mistake it wasn't my first and it sure wont be my last!

Whilst I was there, there were all sorts of wierd calls: Ruff called as CS, Merlin called as Peregrine, moorhen called as Water Rail... even as a newbie I was a bit surprised :)

Whilst I was there, there were all sorts of wierd calls: Ruff called as CS, Merlin called as Peregrine, moorhen called as Water Rail... even as a newbie I was a bit surprised :)

I had someone calling the single Dunlin and Curlew Sandpiper, while I was there on Sat, both as Curlew Sands despite the black flecks still on the Dunlins belly.

CB

Hi

Attached are two scoped shots of the suspect bird aka Curlew Sandpiper seen on the Sunday morning.

Sorry they are not better but looks different to Pivtar's bird

Tim.

Last edited:
Had a quick look through my deleted shots and found these - don't think they help the debate given the extreme crop but I'd be brave and guess sleeping CS and two stints amongst the Lapwings... this was taken before the three stints were seen together on the far shore.

Attachments

• DSC_0496 (2).jpg
    DSC_0496 (2).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0497 (2).jpg
    DSC_0497 (2).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 68
As Inner Marsh is closed on Tuesdays still (I think) is there anywhere else to possibly see the White-winged Black Tern from tomorrow??

No sign of the tern today, but a nice selection of waders included 3 Little stints, 2 Curlew sands., Spotted redshank, Greenshank, Ruffs and lots of Golden plover.
A Stoat chasing a Water rail by the hide was seen just prior to my arrival.

At the far side of Shotwick distant Bewick's and Whoopers could be seen.

On the Decca pools area a Merlin was present for quite a while & caught a finch. A Stonechat at Denhall lane. Sixty + Fieldfares were working their way north along the Wirral shore.

Rare Visit

Paid a rare visit to Inner Marsh on Saturday, really should get there more often. Thanks to the RSPB crew, especially Rhian (?) who took us round Burton Mere Fisheries. So much to do there but it's going to be an excellent reserve when it's finished.

Just thought I would add this image of a Merlin over pond 1, technically not a fantastic shot but my first of a Merlin.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1482 (Large) (2).JPG
    IMG_1482 (Large) (2).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 104
Paid a rare visit to Inner Marsh on Saturday, really should get there more often. Thanks to the RSPB crew, especially Rhian (?) who took us round Burton Mere Fisheries. So much to do there but it's going to be an excellent reserve when it's finished.

Just thought I would add this image of a Merlin over pond 1, technically not a fantastic shot but my first of a Merlin.

Thanks

Thanks for the comments I'll pass on your regards ... just got back form having a look (and a go) of th enew sluices for the new wetland.

Saw 70 ish pink-feet touching down on No 1 pool should've have been good views from the hide .... an early visitor had a woodcock on the path to the hide ... little stint still here too

Raptor Watch at Parkgate on Sunday advertised at 4.30pm but given the change in the clocks probably best to get there earlier - should be aiming for a couple of hours before sunset if you can stand the cold.

Are there any views of the new area from an elevated position ie the beginning of the walk from the car park. I haven't been to the reserve for a few years , but always found it a great place. Am I wrong in assuming that the sailing pool that was to the right of the wood is now part of the reserve.
B :)John

Are there any views of the new area from an elevated position ie the beginning of the walk from the car park. I haven't been to the reserve for a few years , but always found it a great place. Am I wrong in assuming that the sailing pool that was to the right of the wood is now part of the reserve.

You can see the new workings distantly from the track down to the hide. I think the Boating lake at Shotwick is outside the reserve but i'm sure bradinho will know more on this question.

CB

You can see the new workings distantly from the track down to the hide. I think the Boating lake at Shotwick is outside the reserve but i'm sure bradinho will know more on this question.

CB

Yeah decent overall view of the new workings from the path to the hide and sadly the boating lake isn't part of the reserve ... if it was it certainly wouldn't be a boating lake - tern rafts anybody???

For better views of the new workings get booked onto a Burton Mere Walk by phoning the office on 0151 336 7681 - dates for November and December TBC

Sorry I meant any Photographs:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back