• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

Indeed the undertail coverts/vent area appears to be unmarked which would rule out Peregrine and it is a very slim looking bird too.Also if the prey item was a Curlew Sandpiper then it looks quite large in comparison with the raptor, surely it would look tiny if compared to a Peregrine.I don`t think it can be ID safely on this pic...any more pics available?

OK, these are t'other pics, not sure if they'll be much good tho!

Attachments

• peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 004.jpg
    peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 004.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 150
  • peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 006.jpg
    peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 006.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 139
  • peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 008.jpg
    peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 008.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 103
  • peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 009.jpg
    peregrine imf 280911 2011-09-28 009.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 167
That first photo shows its not a Peregrine

I'd tentatively suggest Hobby, though I'd much rather see it in flight and I'd like to see the head clearer and some buff on the undertail

Start an ID thread with at least three of these photos and get wider input is my suggestion

Edit just seen the last photo... how long is that tail!

Maybe the same bird?

Quote from the main cheshire thread by Halftwo on 22nd Sept -

And, at IMF, at about 12:30, we had a (hybrid ?) Lanner (or perhaps a pure Lanner) put up all the waders, close by the hide.

It was large, long-winged (brown above) and long tailed (evenly barred and brown) and pale breasted with a thin moustachial. It did not appear to have any jessies etc on its legs.

Looking again at Collins it resembled a feldeggii very much indeed.

CB

jane has point in remarking on the length of tail to the primaries. Deffo for me not a Merlin and have to say in view of the point jane made not happy with Preegrine either. it is a very pale bird, Were the images with a long lens DSLR or digigscoped? Neither do I think it to be a Hobby, too pale a bird. This seems to me to shriek Lanner, I know iI am really daft on this but I recall being at Marshside and seeing a Lanner there but it was a free flying pet bird!!! However paleness, size and primary projection makes me think of this. Any other photos.

Okay Jane you can call me daft as daffy duck.

PS Will be at Burton tomorrow and Parkgate for the tide.

This was being typed as Cheshirebirder put his post on so I did not see his post.

Gosh! this is getting exciting!

The photos were taken with a panny FZ28 + 1.7t teleconverter. I did try some digiscoping with P60000 but the results were v poor!

QUOTE : And, at IMF, at about 12:30, we had a (hybrid ?) Lanner (or perhaps a pure Lanner) put up all the waders, close by the hide.

It was large, long-winged (brown above) and long tailed (evenly barred and brown) and pale breasted with a thin moustachial. It did not appear to have any jessies etc on its legs.

Looking again at Collins it resembled a feldeggii very much indeed. QUOTE __________________

See this quote from me on the Cheshire & Wirral Thread from the 22nd. Clearly the same bird.

Sorry, CB, didn't realise you'd done that already!

At the moment the two parts are seperate with their own access points . A path joining the two parts is planned in the next phase and eventually a path going right round.

Can anyone give me directions to the new entrance as i was thinking of having a look on Friday and will be travelling from Neston by bike, i know how to get to the old hide (when did it become old:-C) ta very much

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

Frank: Coming past Ness gardens , continue thro Burton , turn right into puddington lane, after the school turn right. It is signposted from Burton.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back