• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (1 Viewer)

I see it has been reported on the RBA bird map. At Burton Wetlands there was a Ross's Goose. I did see this bird, it was with the Canada Geese in front of the Covert Hide.

BTW, nice set up, I am sure this will prove to be a welcome addition to places to view birds. It is planned for the future to carve a footpath through below the woods and fields to link up with the Inner Marsh Hide. But unlucky for me could not find the Pec Peep.

Thanks for all the comments
Latest Info
Pec Sandpiper showing from the Reception Building
Great White Egret from the Marsh Covert Hide

... on the raptor front a friend and myself watched a raptor buzz the waders in front of reception before it flew up into the air and started behaving like a hobby!?! However, it did not seem to have the wing length of a hobby?

Oh and two more birds for the year list:
147. Grey Plover (flyover)
148. Crossbill (flyover)

Last edited:
BTW, nice set up, I am sure this will prove to be a welcome addition to places to view birds. It is planned for the future to carve a footpath through below the woods and fields to link up with the Inner Marsh Hide. But unlucky for me could not find the Pec Peep.

So what does one do at present to get to the IMF hide? Does one have to park in the old car park at the moment and go the old way?

Also, I'd be interested to know how much of the new reserve is suitable for wheelchairs, as I regularly bird with a disabled birder.

Yes to the first question.

As to the second it appears to be very wheelchair friendly as far as the reception area and its surrounding boarded area, and fairly much so as far as getting to the other hide. (ie not boarded but level, firm and with ramps up to the hide and beside the steps.)

I was making a mental note as Mrs.H uses a wheelchair for longer walks. The windows, in addition are low so a wheelchair-bound birder can set up optics without trouble. Come to think of it there was a wheelchair-user there when I was.

All the best, Alcina,

H

To get to the old hide which is referred to as Inner Marsh Farm, one has to park at the farmhouse as before and walk down. Definitely not wheel chair friendly.

This morning we saw the great white egret on what I think is Burton Mere? about 11am ish before it flew off over the pools. As you go from reception to the new hide, the 2 pools on the right which you can walk between, and the gwe was at the far end of the righthand pool (the one with all the water lilies). His all yellow beak stood out like a sore thumb!

Also as we got back to reception a kingfisher darted past and settled in the tree at the righthand end of the pool in front of reception building.

Bradinho also kindly pointed out a mediteranean gull amongst all the bh gulls.

No 2 pool in front of the old hide was totally empty except for 1 heron!

Do the "new" pools have names/numbers for id purposes? eg we already have No 1, No 2& border pool.

This morning we saw the great white egret on what I think is Burton Mere? about 11am ish before it flew off over the pools. As you go from reception to the new hide, the 2 pools on the right which you can walk between, and the gwe was at the far end of the righthand pool (the one with all the water lilies). His all yellow beak stood out like a sore thumb!

Also as we got back to reception a kingfisher darted past and settled in the tree at the righthand end of the pool in front of reception building.

Bradinho also kindly pointed out a mediteranean gull amongst all the bh gulls.

No 2 pool in front of the old hide was totally empty except for 1 heron!

Do the "new" pools have names/numbers for id purposes? eg we already have No 1, No 2& border pool.

Great White Egret on Burton Mere - IMMENSE!!!:king:

The new pool doesn't have a name ... yet ... we just say out in front of the Reception Building.

At IMF we have Border Pool, Centenary Pool (No2) and Bridge Pool (No1).

Whilst at Burton Mere Wetlands we have Burton Mere (with the lilypads), adjacent to that is the Woodland Pool, and adjacent to that but on a lower level is the Willow Pool. The Reception Building is sat on the re-profiled Beech Pool.

Also can everybody stop refering to the IMF hide as "Old" it only 25 years old .... its making our clientele feel uncomfortable;)

ok, heres two v poor photos of the GWE, my excuse is that I was at one end of the mere & he was at the other! We were hoping to get closer but he got a bit camera shy before we were even 3/4 of the way down.
Funny thing is we only went that way cos I thought there might be kingfishers around, and then we saw one back at reception on the reprofiled beech pool!

Attachments

• gwe 2011-10-06 013 a.jpg
    gwe 2011-10-06 013 a.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 75
  • gwe 2011-10-06 019 a.jpg
    gwe 2011-10-06 019 a.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 52
ok, heres two v poor photos of the GWE, my excuse is that I was at one end of the mere & he was at the other! We were hoping to get closer but he got a bit camera shy before we were even 3/4 of the way down.
Funny thing is we only went that way cos I thought there might be kingfishers around, and then we saw one back at reception on the reprofiled beech pool!

A-mazing! Prob the 1st ever record of a GWE on Burton Mere B :)

Missed the 4 Whooper Swans today but did see Curlew Sandpiper. Also saw 2 Common Darters, 2 Migrant Hawkers and Red Admiral butterfly on the new reserve.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back