• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh farm or Marshside Marsh for Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

tuftyhill

Hi I don't get that many opportunities to get out and about as much nowadays but I am free on Saturday and fancied doing some Bird Photography. I'm stuck as to where to head. Inner Marsh Farm (or Burton Marsh wetlands..whatever it's now called) or Marshside Marsh, Southport. I've not visited either few ages. Ideally I'd like to go for first light but I'm not sure about the access to either reserve. I know at Inner Marsh before the revamp you could access at any time but not sure now. And with Marshside is there public access or anywhere that would be good for Bird Photography 1st thing.
I'm sure both reserves are excellent but I'd just be interested to hear members views
Cheers

I know you didn't know where to put it because it straddled counties but you'll get more replies if it's in one of these sub-forums. Having never been to Burton Marsh yet I can't comment but the spring is usually a good time for photographing birds at Marshside.

Just a couple of points worth considering for photography:

Sun is in your face in the morning at Marshside so photography better in the afternoon.

At Burton Mere Wetlands Centre the sun is in your face in the visitor centre in the afternoon and therefore in your face in the morning at Inner Marsh Farm.

More avocets at Marshside along with a big flock of golden plover last week.

if your aim is photography, then there are better places that both of em though, other than the close avocets at marsh side.

as far as burton mere/ inner marsh farm is concerned, inner marsh farm is also a better prospect for photography, the hides at burton mere give very good views across the reserve, but the visitor center has fixed windows and the birds are too distant for good shots and the hide itself gives views of parts of the reserve that you can't see from the imf hide but the birds are always further away from it.

I disagree about better places for photography than Marshside. It depends on what equipment/lenses he has and what he wants to take photos of, surely? Plenty of great subjects for photos from Nel's hide last week. Sometimes a shot of any old bird doing something unusual makes a satisfying pic. I was really impressed with the amount of birds on view at Marshside last week.

If anyone is wondering about the photographic opportunities around Marshside here's a few photographs I've taken in the last week or so .

Attachments

• avocets 1.jpg
    avocets 1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 94
  • godwit x.jpg
    godwit x.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 101
  • goldcrest x.jpg
    goldcrest x.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 86
  • wheatear x.jpg
    wheatear x.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Which did you choose in the end then?

Just for clarification purposes Burton Mere Wetlands, Burton Marsh and Inner Marsh farm are all parts of the same RSPB reserve (as are many other places around there :))

Also Inner Marsh Farm was not always accessible "at any time" ... however both IMF and BMW are currently open from 9am until 7pm.

And seeing as though we're showing off :p I took this pic the other day from the Glazed visitor centre at BMW

PS Marshside is fantastic for photography
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56438958@N05/6902379214/in/photostream

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back