• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Docter the best bino under $400?? (1 Viewer)

Jason4606

I have a post on the Canon page inquiring about member experiences with their 7x42AWP. Unfortunately, nobody has any info to share yet but I'm still hopeful.

While I wait, I'm curious, in your opinion, just how good is the $399 deal for 8x42 Docters at CDNN??

Are they Twice as good as Canon and other ~$200 choices? Better than Bushnell Discoverer, Swift Audubon, etc? As good as Pentax SP? (Just trying to group ones that I think are similarly priced, not suggesting they have more than that in common) Just how do they stack up against $800-$1500 competitors, are they at least half as good?

I don't have a way to see these without ordering, and then I wouldn't have much basis for comparison anyway. I'm clearly a novice and would not recognize the finer points that many of you may notice immediately.

I'm really looking for max Brightness and FOV out of a relatively lightweight waterproof binoc. (My Celestron Regal LX 10x50 is beautiful - to me - but the FOV is a little narrow and it can be a little heavy at times.) Price isn't a major consideration as long as I keep it under $500, but I just hate paying more for anything than I need to.

Thanks,
Jason

Hello, I don't have a direct experience of the Docter 8x42 (which is a roof prism model). However, you can go to:
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/dialyt10x40.html
for detailed (and very favourable) review of the similar 10x40 model.
Personally I own a Docter Nobilem 7x50 (that's a Porro prism model). Though heavy, I find it optically excellent, better than my (old) Leitz Trinovid 7x42. From what I have read the Nobilems are particularly good, considering also their price; roof prism Docters are slightly inferior to the corresponding Zeiss or Leica, but at $399 they should be an excellent choice!
Best regards,
Alfredo

Jason4606 said:
I have a post on the Canon page inquiring about member experiences with their 7x42AWP. Unfortunately, nobody has any info to share yet but I'm still hopeful.

While I wait, I'm curious, in your opinion, just how good is the $399 deal for 8x42 Docters at CDNN??

Are they Twice as good as Canon and other ~$200 choices? Better than Bushnell Discoverer, Swift Audubon, etc? As good as Pentax SP? (Just trying to group ones that I think are similarly priced, not suggesting they have more than that in common) Just how do they stack up against $800-$1500 competitors, are they at least half as good?

I don't have a way to see these without ordering, and then I wouldn't have much basis for comparison anyway. I'm clearly a novice and would not recognize the finer points that many of you may notice immediately.

I'm really looking for max Brightness and FOV out of a relatively lightweight waterproof binoc. (My Celestron Regal LX 10x50 is beautiful - to me - but the FOV is a little narrow and it can be a little heavy at times.) Price isn't a major consideration as long as I keep it under $500, but I just hate paying more for anything than I need to.

Thanks,
Jason

Hello,
I would like to add that the Docter 8x42 is a waterproof and lightweight model, so it should be perfectly OK for you. The Nobilems instead are quite heavy and not waterproof, unless you buy the more expensive Navidoc models which are waterproof. However their optical quality is excellent, you can find some reviews of Nobilem models on the Holger Merlitz website which I gave you before.
For the web site of the producer, you can go to:
http://www.docter-germany.com
which will open the web site of Analytik Jena, and click on "DOCTER" at the top of the page.
Hope this helps,
Alfredo

alfredotod said:
Hello, I don't have a direct experience of the Docter 8x42 (which is a roof prism model). However, you can go to:
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/dialyt10x40.html
for detailed (and very favourable) review of the similar 10x40 model.
Personally I own a Docter Nobilem 7x50 (that's a Porro prism model). Though heavy, I find it optically excellent, better than my (old) Leitz Trinovid 7x42. From what I have read the Nobilems are particularly good, considering also their price; roof prism Docters are slightly inferior to the corresponding Zeiss or Leica, but at $399 they should be an excellent choice!
Best regards,
Alfredo

Thanks for info!

Thanks for the info and link, very useful! Does anyone else have experience with Docter roofs vs. some of the newer Japanese optics (just because those are more in my range of cost/value comparison)?

(Also, my 10x50 is a Celestron Regal LS - not LX. Which is clear and bright to my eyes but 262' at 1000' FOV can be a little narrow at times. And while not heavy, I'd like something lighter than 29 oz. for one handed viewing over extended periods of time.)

Docter 8x42

Jason4606 said:
Thanks for the info and link, very useful! Does anyone else have experience with Docter roofs vs. some of the newer Japanese optics (just because those are more in my range of cost/value comparison)?

(Also, my 10x50 is a Celestron Regal LS - not LX. Which is clear and bright to my eyes but 262' at 1000' FOV can be a little narrow at times. And while not heavy, I'd like something lighter than 29 oz. for one handed viewing over extended periods of time.)

I recently purchased the Docter 8x42 for $399. I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and have used them for several weeks now. They are extremely well built and not light weight compared to Nikon Monarchs. The view is bright and sharp. The overall view certainly more comparable to the high-end European and Nikon LXL binoculars than the mid-priced Japanese binoculars. My only complaint, and it is minor, is that the Docter's did not come with objective covers or a case and the neck strap was just a narrow nylon strap. That was easily fixed with cover and case purchases from Eagle Optics for less than $30 overall.

DR binos

I have Dr optics binos in stock at below CDNN prices, clearing them out at my cost, NO PROFIT HERE AT ALL. All new in box
please email if intrested
I take paypal and money orders

3 in stock 8x42 $365.00 Retail 750.00
2 in stock 10x42 $460.00 Retail 750.00
2 in stock 8x22 $185.00 Retail 375.00

thetic00 said:
I have Dr optics binos in stock at below CDNN prices, clearing them out at my cost, NO PROFIT HERE AT ALL. All new in box
please email if intrested
I take paypal and money orders

3 in stock 8x42 $365.00 Retail 750.00
2 in stock 10x42 $460.00 Retail 750.00
2 in stock 8x22 $185.00 Retail 375.00

Derek - The 8 x 42 arrived today and is a very fine binocular, and a heck of a buy. Many thanks.

Docter's don't compare to Monarch's.

Jason4606 said:

Thanks,
Jason

I had a pair of 8x42 Docters for awhile and they did not even compare to my 8x42 Nikon Monarch's. I can't see why you would spend more money on them than the Nikons. They are also heavy as a tank. I sold mine fast.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back