• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it too late for nestbox-choosing by birds? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, I have a small garden, with one nestbox up for the last 9 years. The first six years, blue tits successfully used it. But the seventh year, a cat sat atop the shed killed one of the parents, and the other abandoned the eggs. The following year (last year), the nestbox wasn't used. This year, although there are blue and coal tits in the garden regularly, I haven't yet seen any birds investigating the box. Can I assume that it's too late now in the season, i.e. that if birds haven't investigated by now, they're not going to? I just want to know so that if it's really too late, I can stop staring out of the window anxiously....Thanks in advance.

It's not too late until mid April, but anything you get now will be desperate, as all the 'sorted' pairs will already be on territory and have been investigating boxes for a month.

Hmmm...just as I feared. Thanks Poecile, I had the feeling that "investigations" had started far earlier in previous years. But hey, fingers crossed, there may be a desperate pair out there yet! On a vaguely related topic.....in my parents' garden, some 10 miles away, they've a box in which blue and coal tits have nested regularly, with 1-1/8th inch hole. But it seems this year, the occupants will be Great Tits. They're "investigating" frantically, popping in and out and pecking at the opening. I had thought that Great Tits needed a larger aperture hole than Blue and Coal.

Hey I wondered about this too, I would like to put another bluetit box in the garden. I have seen some lovely nestboxes in the shops.

I'm no expert, Flyingfree, but I think the box should be already up since late autumn. As far as I understand it, if you put up a completely new one now, it won't be investigated until next year. I might be totally wrong on that, no harm having a go! Good luck with it!

I've had a nestbox in the same pear tree since 1999 with mixed success. Blue tits have nested there 7 years on the trot with 4 successful years and 3 failures. The last 2 years I've had nothing but this year a blue tit has started nest building so fingers crossed.

I remember one year that it was late April before a pair of BTs took up residence - the downside was that all the chicks died before they had grown any feathers.

Anyway you never know, you may still be lucky, although the odds are against.

Thanks, WW, at least your experience suggests I shouldn't move the box. Just 'cos they've not used it in two years doesn't mean they mightn't have a go the third. Actually it's a miracle they used it ever, because there are plenty of natural sites available locally. Fingers crossed for 2009!

I think that's the right decision Sancho. You could always put up an extra box in your garden if you have room - maybe with a bigger or smaller hole size, facing another direction and at a different height. No harm in giving them a choice of dez rez!

Good luck.

I have 3 nestboxes a main Tit box which have had Great Tits nesting there for 5 years except this year House Sparrows have taken up residence and are having a extremly busy time at the moment. One Sparrowbox thats empty and another little Tit b ox also empty

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back