• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Slimbridge wetlands the Mecca of bird spotting in the Uk?😄 (1 Viewer)

Because it looks like it to me! I was on their website earlier and it’s got me giddy with excitement! The hides look first class! Hire a canoe, massive reserves with up to 30k wildfowl in winter!

Got to be said though, feels a bit pricey at £18 when you consider it’s £3 a car for all day parking at Attenborough nature reserve which I absolutely love!

What’s everyone else’s own personal favourites? I’m hoping to get a list of places to line up for visits this year!

Thanks🥰

Hi

My personal (larger reserve) favourite is Ham Wall and Shapwick, Avalon Marshes. Price of a car park ticket for council or RSPB will get you in :)

Funnily enough, Slimbridge isn’t one of my favourites. Though I do like it when it’s less busy.

My favourites are RSPB Gwernffrwd Dinas, Ham Wall/ Westhay, Loch Garten and Bempton/ Spurn is always worth a visit.

But I also love my local patches; WWT Brandon Marsh and Upton Warren, £3 day passes if you are not a Wildlife Trust member, free if you are :)

It is a great walk as well as a wide variety of hides. For me, living in the Midlands, the large wetland area is not “on my doorstep”, so is special. The walking is easy and varied, well laid paths as well as longer grassland. I would recommend waiting a bit, the arrival of spring/summer migrants, especially warblers, make the place. You also tend to get booming bitterns and reliable marsh harriers, lots of egrets etc.. But for me it is just a feeling once you walk through the entrance!

It is a great walk as well as a wide variety of hides. For me, living in the Midlands, the large wetland area is not “on my doorstep”, so is special. The walking is easy and varied, well laid paths as well as longer grassland. I would recommend waiting a bit, the arrival of spring/summer migrants, especially warblers, make the place. You also tend to get booming bitterns and reliable marsh harriers, lots of egrets etc.. But for me it is just a feeling once you walk through the entrance!
Pretty much exactly the same as Julie. Get there early and just enjoy everything about the place.

Rich

Some more great places are Skomer, Handa Island, Mull and the Uists. Great birding in beautiful locations.
Yeah the Islands of Scotland are 100% on my to do list! As a holiday overall not simply a birding destination.

Any particular time of year you would recommend?

I’ve always found it quite tricky to find anywhere on the internet that rents cottages for a reasonable price in the peak seasons!

Slimbridge is pricey and the range of (wild) species present is restricted in winter, more or less nothing in summer. Titchwell RSPB and the North Norfollk coast generally has a much better claim to be an avian Mecca in Britain but there are many regional sites of excellence.

John

Yeah the Islands of Scotland are 100% on my to do list! As a holiday overall not simply a birding destination.

Any particular time of year you would recommend?

I’ve always found it quite tricky to find anywhere on the internet that rents cottages for a reasonable price in the peak seasons!
We were on the Uists in May. Absolutely beautiful.

Know what you mean about school holiday prices. They can be outrageous.

Rich

Amazed that no-one so far has mentioned Minsmere. Some years ago it would have been tops, in England at least. Has it gone downhill ?

The main problem is it being rammed with grockles and the car parks being full. It does still have a great array of birds most of the time.

John
For variety of habitat ( including the immediate surrounding area ) , Minsmere is always a great place to visit, although I take John’s point about the crowds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back