• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Slimbridge wetlands the Mecca of bird spotting in the Uk?😄 (2 Viewers)

The RSPB reserve at Rainham, Essex, will not impress anyone who has visited the destinations above, but it's one of the closest to Central London and I've had some very enjoyable days there - flocks of godwits and avocets in October, and especially hobbies hawking insects in May and September. Nothing that can't be seen, and seen better elsewhere, and/or closer to you. But special because close to me. I look forward to being back in the spring.
I quite like Rainham personally: an array of birds of estuary, wetlands, reedbed and grasslands along with little gems like Water Voles and Marsh Frogs, plus it gets some pretty special rarities once in a while. It's just not very easy to get to from Farnborough and the traffic on the way can be dreadful.

John

Visited Slimbridge today with my youngest(13). Confirmed it’s still not a favourite of mine. About halfway round he told me that in one of the earlier hides he’d put his hand over his mouth and coughed. A birder shushed him. Luckily I didn’t hear as I’d have told her to take the stick out of her backside🤬🤬🤬

Visited Slimbridge today with my youngest(13). Confirmed it’s still not a favourite of mine. About halfway round he told me that in one of the earlier hides he’d put his hand over his mouth and coughed. A birder shushed him. Luckily I didn’t hear as I’d have told her to take the stick out of her backside🤬🤬🤬
Think it might have been her head that needed extracting....

John

That's terrible, sorry this happened to your son. There's absolutely no need for this, we need to be welcoming to everyone, especially young people. I doubt birds outside the hide will be put off by someone coughing that they can't see.

Bird hides are a great place to met other birders and share info. If the "arboreally rectified" complain, they are breaking their own vows of silence. That in itself is worth a chuckle. Tell them the pishing is not allowed and continue talking. If they don't like it they can always leave. More room for the rest of us.

Agree that the Hebrides are best in May. They used to be anyway. If you get the chance to go to St Kilda its truly amazing. I spent 6 months on and off over 2 years up there. Arriving by helicopter the first views are so very special. Like a jewel in the ocean. No traffic. Pure nature on the edge of the world with 2 million breeding birds to keep you busy. It was the best posting I ever had.

In my opinion what RSPB Ham Wall offers in comparison to Slimbridge is a no brainer. Okay you might not have the fancy, and very overpriced, cafe/restaurant that Slimbridge has but you do have a small welcome point which is more often than not open between 1000-1600 which will serve a hot filter coffee or TeaPigs brew. On top of that you have an abundance of engaged staff and volunteers on the reserve. I grew up not far from Slimbridge and am lucky enough to spend time at Ham Wall and I can tell you I know Ham Wall wins every time for me.

Slimbridge is pricey and the range of (wild) species present is restricted in winter, more or less nothing in summer. Titchwell RSPB and the North Norfollk coast generally has a much better claim to be an avian Mecca in Britain but there are many regional sites of excellence.

John
I agree with the comment about the price. If you know of anyone who works for the John Lewis Partnership, this obviously includes Waitrose, then they get free entry to WWT properties and can take a friend. I used it several times and was definitely a good Partner benefit.

The RSPB reserve at Rainham, Essex, will not impress anyone who has visited the destinations above, but it's one of the closest to Central London and I've had some very enjoyable days there - flocks of godwits and avocets in October, and especially hobbies hawking insects in May and September. Nothing that can't be seen, and seen better elsewhere, and/or closer to you. But special because close to me. I look forward to being back in the spring.
It's a nice place and when I lived nearby they went out of their way to allow visitors when something rare showed up.
And it offers tea and cake as well.

Because it looks like it to me! I was on their website earlier and it’s got me giddy with excitement! The hides look first class! Hire a canoe, massive reserves with up to 30k wildfowl in winter!

Got to be said though, feels a bit pricey at £18 when you consider it’s £3 a car for all day parking at Attenborough nature reserve which I absolutely love!

What’s everyone else’s own personal favourites? I’m hoping to get a list of places to line up for visits this year!

Thanks🥰

Never been to Slimbridge but I am guessing it is the wrong sort of reserve to compare to Attenborough. I have been to Attenborough and shocked it is so cheap to park there but that is brilliant for us. Sadly Balsam was present over much of the site so that is a cross.

This is the latest Wetland Bird Survey count affcted by the cold weather of course

Highlights of 2023:-

At £18 I'd just pay a bit more and join the WWT if it was close to me. I am a WWT member and visit Martin Mere a few times per year.

I find the volunteers really good at slimbridge. It is almost always crowded and that can have its downsides but I’ve had plenty of positive experiences in its hides

Ham wall would be the one place I’d recommend someone go to just for the variety numbers and relative closeness of species but there are obviously other great places too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back