• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a problem with the new EDG focuser? (1 Viewer)

I just looked at my 10 x 32 EDG (1st Version) which I have used extensively for nearly 18 months. I haven't set my diopter in so long that I can't remember when I did it last. Nevertheless, I went through the process again to see what could be causing the alleged problem described in the link above.

There is not much tolerance (clearance) between the focusing ring cover, which slides up and down and protects the Diopter Adjustment Ring located on the front of the focus wheel.

The only way the problem described could happen is if the Focus Wheel Cover warped or became distorted under pressure and contact was made with the Diopter Adjustment Ring during focusing. I could not make this happen by applying harder pressure (even at the very front end) than I do in normal focusing.

This appears to be a different problem than the earlier one complained about of the diopter changing when the focuser was in the free wheeling mode, which I did not experience either.

The operation of the focusing/diopter adjustment ring is simple.

Here are the instructions from my manual: Word for word.

Positions and functions

Position I: Pushed into the deepest (Focusing) postion. Focusing ring can be used.

Position II: Middle click (Unlocked) position (when the focusing ring is pulled out one step.) Focus-lock is established. Focusing ring rotates freely.

Position III: Fully pulled-out (Diopter adjustment) position (focusing ring is pulled out two steps). Focusing ring rotates freely. Diopter adjustment ring becomes operable.

Bob

Holy Carp! It's like deja vu all over again, but different.

Do you think Claudio might have tried to beat Peter Dunne's javelin toss record?

First, the EL Fungus Pandemic and now another EDG focuser/diopter malfunction. The EL problem might be isolated, but from past experience with the EDG I, this new problem could be more widespread. Hope not or I might have to change the labels on my pig's feet jars again.

Brock

But how can this be? After all the hullabaloo over the slipping dioptre on the EDG model 1, surely Nikon wouldn't be daft enough to release the EDG 2 without being 100% certain the fault had been cured? I have to say that, after reading Steve's and Bob's posts (and not having handled an EDG myself) I don't like the way the focus wheel can be made to rotate freely: to my mind, it would be disconcerting to have a focus wheel spinning round loosely and apparently not connected to anything, giving the impression that engineering standards are less than satisfactory... not at all what we expect of our venerated Nikon. Maybe I'm worrying unduly, and 'in the metal' this multi-function-focuser works just fine (usually)?

I have an 8 x 42 EDG 2. On this model there are two focuser modes: pushed in (normal) and pulled out (diopter adjustment). It eliminates the "focus-lock" middle position from the original EDG design. I've had no problems with the focus wheel dragging on the diopter. I agree the clearance between the two is very small.

Two things I like about this design: 1. The diopter ring moves with no detents, including at zero, so you can really fine tune diopter for maximum sharpness. 2. You can rotate the focus wheel freely before pushing it back in. This allows you to set the word "Nikon" on the focus wheel at horizontal position to indicate when the bin is pre-set at infinity, or any other focal distance, for maximum focusing speed on the next bird.

Mark

I have an 8 x 42 EDG 2. On this model there are two focuser modes: pushed in (normal) and pulled out (diopter adjustment). It eliminates the "focus-lock" middle position from the original EDG design. I've had no problems with the focus wheel dragging on the diopter. I agree the clearance between the two is very small.

Two things I like about this design: 1. The diopter ring moves with no detents, including at zero, so you can really fine tune diopter for maximum sharpness. 2. You can rotate the focus wheel freely before pushing it back in. This allows you to set the word "Nikon" on the focus wheel at horizontal position to indicate when the bin is pre-set at infinity, or any other focal distance, for maximum focusing speed on the next bird.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I also use the focus wheel in that manner to locate both infinity and close up. Sort of a poor man's range finder.:t:

The purpose of the free wheeling second stop on the 1st model I recall was for locking in the focus when the binocular was used on a tripod when doing extended observation of a particular object or bird or animal.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back