• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Pied Heron or Reef heron? Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby, Adventure park- May 2023 (1 Viewer)

nidhinc

India
Hi Birders,

I saw this heron in a group of pied heron & initially I thought it was reef heron (about 7-10km away from sea) but when I looked the photos then I got confused. Is there a dark morph of pied heron & could it be this?

Thanks

Nid

Attachments

• 0N3A2427.JPG
    0N3A2427.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 45
Another great photo of a difficult bird, Nid. I agree with Pied though the lack of a contrasting white neck is uncharacteristic. I would say that I've never seen a Reef Egret inland - always along the coast. Also, it appears the photographed bird has a long black nuchal crest, common on Pied, and possible on Reef, but I've never seen it. Lastly, the legs on the photographed bird do not look proportionally short as they would on a Reef, which I would exclude. If it's a Pied, the possibility exists that there might be some cross-breeding in its family line to account for the uniform grey appearance. I've never heard of a dark morph Pied.

The second picture posted is a stunner Nid. Butty is right that it's sensible to consider the bird an aberrant Pied. But the non-sensible side of me wonders if night herons (especially Eurasian Black-crowned) can cross-breed with Pieds...

The second picture posted is a stunner Nid. Butty is right that it's sensible to consider the bird an aberrant Pied. But the non-sensible side of me wonders if night herons (especially Eurasian Black-crowned) can cross-breed with Pieds...
Why isn't it simply a melanistic bird?

It probably is; that’s the aberration Butty mentioned above. But PNG is such a fascinating place with so many unusual birds, and guidebooks for it aren’t in every bookshelf, so this forum is a great place to explore the possibilities while we assist a guy lucky enough to be there.

I was going to say could it be stained/oiled?

Incidentally, the immature in the background of your second pic looks weirdly like it's trying to mimic a Lesser Black-backed Gull!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back