• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isabelline Warbler? (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hi all,

This warbler was trapped this morning (May 5th) during a ringing session at ria de Alvor, Algarve, Portugal.

The bird was very pale, no traces of yellow at all. The tail was quite damaged (about five rectrices were missing).

Based on the pale colour I would go for an Isabelline (=Western Olivaceous), however according to Svensson, the wing formula is similar to that of Melodious, which is very common here. Can Melodious be ruled out by plumage colour alone? Are there any cases of very pale Melodious, i.e. with no yellow at all?

Any opinions on the ID shall be welcome.

Thanks,
Gonçalo

Attachments

• hip-sp-1.JPG
    hip-sp-1.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 78
  • hip-sp-2.JPG
    hip-sp-2.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 100
  • hip-sp-3.JPG
    hip-sp-3.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 79
  • hip-sp-4.JPG
    hip-sp-4.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 71
  • hip-sp-5.JPG
    hip-sp-5.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
2 days ago I had a brief sight view of a very similar bird at home in a Lemon tree. Unfortunately I couldn't clinch it and there were no vocalisations.

I think it was a Western Olivaceous though - its a bird I know very well from breeding sites in Spain - IMO they always seem longer billed, more Reed Warbler like head shaped than Melodious, which AFAIK can only be very pallid post breeding. They also move differently through vegetation - more plodding somehow. Of course, in habitat and singing they are easy!

It certainly looks very like a WOW and sorry I cannot help properly. I would say that with the apparent complete abscence of yellow/green tones it can't be Melodious - at least in my experience.

Thanks Simon. According to some theories, Iduna is actually closer to Acrocephalus than to Hippolais, and this certainly showed a resemblance to an Acro (in fact when I extracted the bird from the net for a moment I thought I was looking at a Reed Warbler).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back