• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isan Thailand - this time Olive-backed Sunbird? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
06-03-2023 at around 5 pm. First pic hard to distinguish from female Purple, not 100% sure. One more female, should be Olive-backed? Then a male? And is that a male in eclipse on pic 4? I see some purple colouring on the back. And very red eyes, not in my guide. Last pic, same bird, also this purple on the back, is that a male in eclipse? Many thanks for advice

Attachments

• DSC00912 (2) copy.JPG
    DSC00912 (2) copy.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00855 (2).JPG
    DSC00855 (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC00866 (3) copy.JPG
    DSC00866 (3) copy.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01008 (3 copy.JPG
    DSC01008 (3 copy.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01009 (2) copy.JPG
    DSC01009 (2) copy.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 9
1 & 2. fem Ornate (aka Olive-backed), fem Purple is overall duller.
3. male Ornate
4-5 eclipse male Brown-throated. Red eye is a good clue, the bright 'stripe' on the rear underbody (1008) is a piece of foliage.

Grahame

1 & 2. fem Ornate (aka Olive-backed), fem Purple is overall duller.
3. male Ornate
4-5 eclipse male Brown-throated. Red eye is a good clue, the bright 'stripe' on the rear underbody (1008) is a piece of foliage.

Grahame
Thank you Graham, great that you a lot about these things. I see now that the name officially has been changed into Ornate Sunbird, right? eBird gives a name Cinnyris ornatus for that one. Robson said Nectarinia fugularis, eBird refuses that name. Was the Latin name changed as well then? eBird also does not accept the name Olive-backed Sunbird.
I have one more request for you, could you maybe have a look at another thread of me that I posted yesterday, the name was Isan Thailand - which Sunbird species? Foresttwitcher tried to help, but could not ID completely. Thanks for your effort again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back