• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isan Thailand - which Sunbird species? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
09-03-2023 around 5 pm. Hot season starting. As far as I could establish there are two species visiting the garden regularly over the last years: Olive-backed and Purple Sunbird. I assume this might be a pair of the Purple Sunbird. First the female, Purple or Olive-backed? Then comes the male Purple, is that non-breeding? The third should be the same but it suddenly shows brilliant orang/yellow coverts, I guess because it is or starts breeding? Thnx for all your help

Attachments

• DSC01432 (2) copy.JPG
    DSC01432 (2) copy.JPG
    798.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01026 (2) copy.JPG
    DSC01026 (2) copy.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01453 (4).JPG
    DSC01453 (4).JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
Can't really help with the ID, although I can't see what else the male could be but a Purple Sunbird, but the yellow feathers you are seeing are not coverts or another part of the wing but a tuft of displaced body feathers which are usually covered by the closed wing when perched.

1. I'm not certain about the female due to difficulty in assessing plumage tones; the bright yellow of upper breast seems more likely a product of the harsh lighting, the lower body seems very pale/washed out, more consistent with Purple. If was with the male I think you safely assume it was Purple.
2-3 Both male Purple. In the last image (1453) the orange and yellow pectoral tuft (normally hidden) is displayed as Pete describes above.

Grahame

Last edited:
Again many thanks, Pete and Grahame, helps a lot.... I said two species are visiting, that were Ornate and Purple Sunbird, but after our last assessment in the other thread, I have to add Brown-throated Sunbird as a third species. Colour and behaviour of these birds are intriguing. They have a typical sound so I know when they are around.

Can't really help with the ID, although I can't see what else the male could be but a Purple Sunbird, but the yellow feathers you are seeing are not coverts or another part of the wing but a tuft of displaced body feathers which are usually covered by the closed wing when perched.
Pete, thanks again, nice... But does that mean that you would see these colours on the front of the inside op it's wings when it opens it's wings like a cormarant that is drying? Or otherwise? Why do these tufts come out? Amazing beautiful... Here I find another pic with both tufts out (from Purple Sunbird - NestWatch):

1711695299944.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back