• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ISRAEL - Christmas and New Year in the Holy Land (1 Viewer)

FXM

Frank Moffatt
Hi Folks,

23rd December 2013 - 7th January 2014

Managed to get a slot off work so couldn't resist a winter break in the Holy Land. Saker, Imperial Eagles, Sociable Plovers and sandgrouse to name but a few, all in the Negev plus a heck of a lot more.

But the 'real' biggees are at the coast:Great Black-backed Gull, Red-breasted Merganser and Snow Bunting! All Israel 'ticks' for me. Which should I go for: Negev or 'ticks' ? Ace Israeli bird finder Tuvia Khan and friend struck 'Snow' just a few days back - a 1st for Israel - coming close on the heels of his 'Firecrest' - also a first - and just a little after his Bean Goose - a second - he's on a roll. Long may it continue.

Starting with 3 nights at Urim in the Negev then 6 in the Golan and finishing with 5 at Kfar Ruppin in the Beit Shean Valley. Three brilliants locations with huge potential - always.

In case you weren't aware there's been exceptional weather recently in Israel with heavy snow and torrential rain. Yes they should get a bit of this but not the levels they've just experienced. If the Snow Bunting's arrival was a consequence of this then who knows what else might be out there. Fingers crossed.

I'll do my best to keep you posted. Should be okay in the Negev and Beit Shean but as usual it could be tricky in the Golan.

o:Do:DHappy Christmas to everyone and have a great New Year.B :)B :)

Cheers for now.

Frank

Last edited:
Again? I'm envious :)
Just had to be there for work and managed a couple of days of wildlife watching. Always fun. Didn't see anything really rare, but still lots or great birds.
Have fun!

Cheers Ron.

Nice flight over with EasyJet - bang on time. Collected Budget car and away. Just settled into my smashing room at Kibbutz Urim - first visit to the Kibbutz. Handily placed for my first venture into the Negev tomorrow. Main target Sociable Plover(s). Teaming up with top photographer Thomas Krumenacker and friend to search for them ... and the rest.

Don't want to do a 'Yoav' so better be careful driving the tracks. He got stuck then the car dragging him out got stuck. Thankfully the tractor got them both out. It's easily done. I know that from experience.

Cheers

Frank

Just saw on FB some Dutch birders got pictures of a Verreaux's eagle in the Red Canyon. Maybe something to go for down South.

24 December - URIM

Straight into the field to look for the Sociable Plovers that are once again wintering in the area. I believe they number 20 this time. My friend Thomas Krumenacker (TK), top-notch photographer from Berlin, headed over from Mashabei Sade and we spent the day together.

Didn't take long to find the Sociables. I'd counted a minimum 19 for sure when we decided to get the sun behind us for even better views. At that moment we admired the Peregrine that was chasing in the adjacent field. When we looked back the Sociables had gone. And that was it for the day despite extensive searching. Superb all the same. I think that's my biggest ever flock.

The fields are full of Skylarks, plenty of Starlings, good numbers of White Wagtails, Lapwings, Crested Larks, feral pigeons and Hooded Crows, small numbers of Lapwing, Spanish Sparrows and the odd Isabelline Wheatear and Stonechat. Also heard a few Chiffchaff here and there.

Raptors
were superb: Black Kites all over the place, Common Kestrels were common, at least three Merlins dashed around, a couple of Peregrines were hanging around, Long-legged Buzzards at least 4, Common Buzzard a few, Marsh Harrier c.4 including a dark phase, Pallid Harrier - a stunning single male towards dusk and perhaps two females, Hen Harriers maybe 4 inc. a single male. Pride of place, however, must surely go to the absolutely incredible adult Eastern Imperial Eagle.

Large tracts of the general area are intensively farmed but there's still enough richness to attract big numbers of wintering birds thank goodness.

At least four groups of Common Cranes totalling c.80 headed over near dusk.

It was hard to find a harrier during the day but near dusk they suddenly appeared and very nice it was too.

The day flew past and so did the birds. Great stuff.

I'll do pretty much the same tomorrow. TK and his friend are also heading across so we'll scour the area again. Hopefully we'll bump into some Pin-tailed Sandgrouse.

I've posted some of TK's superb photos. Enjoy.

Black Kite mobbing Eastern Imperial Eagle followed by two more of the EIE. Long-legged Buzzard and Peregrine.

More tomorrow.

Cheers for now.

Frank

Attachments

• Black.Kite.agro.jpg
    Black.Kite.agro.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 39
  • E.Inp.Eagle1.jpg
    E.Inp.Eagle1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
  • E.Imp.Eagle2.jpg
    E.Imp.Eagle2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Long-legged Buzzard.jpg
    Long-legged Buzzard.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Peregrine.jpg
    Peregrine.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
25 December 2013 - URIM

Firstly, :t:Merry ChristmasB :) everyone.

2nd Day in the Urim area. Weather similar to yesterday: cloud 4/8, f4 SE. Cool starts and nights i.e. fleece definitely required but pleasant midday. Dry. The tracks were solid 99% but with a few pools to avoid here and there. Main issue was the ruts created during the recent storms by the heavy plant and machinary on the fields including numerous big trucks collecting produce. But not a problem in the main.

Birding was pretty similar to yesterdays but perhaps not quite as varied: two adult Eastern Imperial Eagles though.

The Sociable Plovers were in their favoured field for most of the day and gave terrific views. Definitely 18 today. Plumage was quite varied so no doubt different ages involved and perhaps different sexes. Need to read up.

Couple of dips again: no Saker and no Pin-tailed Sandgrouse. They're out there somewhere. I can understand missing the sandgrouse but where is the Saker? Apparently it hardly moves from its designated pylon! Well it aint been on it when I've been looking. I'll try again tomorrow first thing.

Then it's up north to the Golan. Preying the weather stays fair. Just debating whether or not to try for the Snow Bunting, Red-breasted Merganser and Great Black-backed Gull on the way.

I've posted a few very poor shots of the Sociables but with luck I'll have some better ones to show you tomorrow.

Cheers for now. Don't drink too much.

Frank

Attachments

• Urim 25122013 025.jpg
    Urim 25122013 025.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Urim 25122013 011.jpg
    Urim 25122013 011.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Must be something wrong with my monitor - pics wont focus . . . or I have drank/drunk far too much.

Your Xmas dinner is in the freezer for the 20th year in a row - maybe you will make it up here one day soon . . . .

Keep it warm for me ... and the dinner! Boom boom!!

Mee little ole Panasonic Lumix is doing the best it can.

Urim and then on to Acco.

26 December 2013

Up and away first light to check the Sociable Plover site. No sign so headed to the north fields to look for Pin-tailed Sandgrouse but no luck … yet again. Back to the sociable field just as Liron Ziv was arriving to video them. Unfortunately any chance was lost due to a light aircraft spraying the field with god knows what. We said goodbye and cleared off asap.

I couldn’t resist it any longer and decided to do some real birding. I took the plunge and headed north to Acco just beyond Haifa on the coast. I made a quick phone call to Eran Banker for an update. He’d scored with the Snow Bunting and Red-breasted Merganser. Don’t think he’d tried for the Great Black-backed Gull as he’d seen it previously. The signs were good.

Seemed to be there in no time at all and somehow landed at the exact place. I even recognised Yoav’s car next to mine. A quick call to Yoav who assured me there was no problem and he was right. A few minutes later and I was watching Israel’s first ever Snow Bunting alongside Yoav, Rami and Amir.

Next for the Merg that had been feeding in the rock pools just a little to the south. I’d checked all the pools on the way to the bunting and there was no sign. Rami and me checked them again. Negative. He headed off to team up with Shachar Alterman in their quest to find the Verreaux’s Eagle tomorrow somewhere in the Eilat area. Good luck to them both.

Myself and Yoav checked the whole area north and south of the Old Town of Acco but couldn’t connect with the gull or the merg. The historic port of Acco is spectacular and worthy of a special visit in itself. Superb place. In fact the whole area is really nice and very good for birds particularly gulls and waders. Virtually nobody birds it which is a shame. And when they due … they find a first for Israel.

Having covered a fair amount of ground Yoav took me to the famous Hummus Café in the Turkish bazaar in the Old Town. Got to recommend it. Once again worthy of a special visit. Thanks Yoav.

As we were heading back to the car Yoav spotted the Great Black-backed Gull above us. It appeared briefly twice. Unfortunately it turns out he didn't get any shots of it as his camera was in the car. My views were not great. Nevertheless, two down, one to go. Yoav headed home and I spent the remainder of the day searching for the merg without success. Time to head to the El Rom in the Golan.

The journey over was a nightmare in the rush hour. Got there eventually, however, and settled into my room. The weather in the Golan has been particularly difficult recently with heavy snowfalls and strong winds. For the time being, at least, it’s calmed down. I’ll let you know how things go.

Cheers for now.

Frank

Last edited:
27th and 28th December – The Golan - El Rom

27th December

Woke to bright sunshine, clear blue skies and NE winds F3-4 gusting 5 on exposed tops which kept things cool for most of the day. Couple of fleeces on first and last thing but a really nice start weather wise. Still piles of snow dotted around after the thaw but the high grounds are still covered. It’s the weekend and the skiing will be in full-flow on Mt. Hermon so I’ll leave it alone for the next couple of days.

If you’ve read my previous threads you’ll already have a good idea of what’s typical up here in winter. Lots of birds around today but nothing out of the ordinary. Kept things simple and did the local orchards and around the Valley of Tears, Bental Reservoir and adjacent fields, parts of the Kibbutz grounds and that was it gone in a flash. Days are short: 0645 – 1645 at a pinch, and that’s on a bright, clear day.

Met up with my friends Daniel and Miri, who both have houses on the Kibbutz. Was invited to Miri’s family/relatives get together/bar mitzvah celebration at the local restaurant in Buq’ata. A lovely evening and a great end to my first evening in the Golan. Thanks Miri and relatives.

Nearly forgot to mention my friend Vango (Miri’s dog). He was really pleased and excited to see me. He looks tough but he’s dead soft.

28th December

Similar weather to yesterdays but winds stronger which made birding tougher and temps feel colder. Round the Kibbutz to start with then south to Alonei Habashan to look for Yellowhammers and if I'm really lucky a Pine Bunting. Wishful thinking. Several Yellowhammers c.20 though which are always a nice bird to see here in winter.

Checked Bental Reservoir but no change from yesterday, nor around the fields. And so to Mt. Baron, the legendary Firecrest site, not to mention Radde’s Accentor, but all I could find today were the commoner species. Finished off in the woods adjacent to the Kibbutz and then around the Valley of Tears. A nice Hen Harrier and Finsch’s Wheatear at close of play was excellent.

And so a relatively quiet day. Still no thrushes other than Blackbirds and I’ve yet to see a Hawfinch. Tomorrow maybe.

A few selections from 27th and 28th:

Finsch’s Wheatear – male and female. Valley of Tears area
Blue Rock Thrush – male. Valley of Tears area.
Common Kestrel – several.
E. Sparrowhawk – one, perhaps two.
Blackbird – common
Wren – several heard.
Chaffinch – very common.
Woodlark – nice flock of c.25 on the top of Har Hermonit.
Robin – quite numerous.
Meadow Pipit – minimum 6.
Lapwing – quite numerous on the damp pastures.
Skylark – several noted.
Serin – quite common.
Syrian Woodpecker – a few heard. It’s the only one here so reasonable to assume.
House Sparrow – several groups noted.
Yellow-vented (Spectacled) Bulbul – common.
Cattle Egret – several in fields with the cattle surprisingly enough.
Hooded Crow – common.
Greenfinch – common.
Goldfinch – quite numerous.
Brambling – just a single!
Chiffchaff – many heard. Quite varied plumage and several different calls noted.
Palestine Sunbird – quite numerous on the Kibbutz.
Linnet – 1-2 at several locations and a small group of c.20 near Valley of Tears.
Wigeon – Bental Res. (BR) c.25
Mallard – BR c.20
Little Grebe – BR 3+
Shoveler – single BR.
Little Egret – BR area 4+.
Tufted Duck – BR 6+
Coot – several. pond adjacent BR
Moorhen – several. Pond adjacent BR
Redshank – BR 10+
Spur-winged Plover – BR several.
Corn Bunting – vc.
Hen Harrier – single.
E. Sparrowhawk – single.

Probably head down to the Agamon Hula tomorrow. Should be a lot less people there after the weekend. Plus rain is forecast so it might be a better bet. In fact it’s raining quite hard as I type.

Cheers for now.

Frank

Last edited:
29th December - The Agamon Hula

Down into the Hula Valley where the temps were considerably warmer than those up at El Rom. Winds were light, the skies were a little on the grey side and there was a mist in the distance. It was actually very pleasant and warm enough not to require a fleece. Round about 1530hrs it began to rain a little and visibility took a turn for the worse. A good days birding was had.

As the Agamon doesn’t open until 0900hrs (shame) I began by birding some fish ponds a little to the north near the Gonen Junction. Within minutes I’d seen:

Greater Spotted Eagle - 2
Marsh Harrier – 10+
Common Buzzard
Common Kestrel
Black Kite
Black Stork - single
Night Heron – 12+
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Water Pipit
Ferruginous Duck – 8
Red-crested Pochard – single female
Smyrna Kingfisher
Pied Kingfisher
Common Kingfisher
Moustached Warbler
Chiffchaff
Cetti’s Warbler
Great Egret
Little Egret
Grey Heron
Glossy Ibis
Coot
Moorhen
Little Grebe
Shoveler
Gadwall
Mallard
Wigeon
Teal
Bluethroat
Graceful Prinia
Spectacled Bulbul
Collared Dove
Armenian Gull
Black-headed Gull
… and other stuff.

Headed to the Agamon just a few minutes drive to the south. Firstly it’s the sound of the 30,000 Common Cranes (or many of them – some head off early morning) that gets you and then it’s the spectacular array of birds spread around the area.
Many more of those species mentioned earlier (generally) plus:

White Pelican
Greater Spotted Eagle – probably 5 more at least.
Avocet
Snipe
Black-tailed Godwit
Marsh Sandpiper
Crested Lark
Shelduck
Great Cormorant
Pygmy Cormorant
White Wagtail
Robin

I’ll have missed plenty off the list but I hope most of the goodies are noted. I actually spent a good bit of time sitting and scanning for the Black-winged Kites that breed here but didn’t catch up with them.

Of note again: a Chiffchaff gave what I regard as typical collybita call. You don’t hear it that often so it stands out.

Twas a very pleasant day. Back up to El Rom to relax a bit more and hatch a plan for tomorrow.

More later.

Frank

The Agamon opens at 6.30 on Friday & Saturday and holidays. That is why I try to get there on Fridays if possible.
Didn't see the black-winged kites either earlier this month. Last spring I saw 4-5. Quite a few around, but as always you need a bit of luck.
If you are up on the Golan, Gamla can also be nice.

Greetings from windy Hull !!

Hi Frank
Great to hear all your news. Being following your visit and the various eating place you have visited !! Not only good birding but great culinary delights. See that Israeli List of yours is expanding rapidly with all that twitching!! Happy New Year. Brian & Babs x

Thanks Ron - will probably visit Gamla on way way down to Be'it shean in a couple of days. Might also check out some of the Reservoirs. Could be anything tucked away. Could have made a bigger effort for the Black-winged Kites but fancied seeing them in flight for a change.

Regards

Frank

Hi Brian,

Six nil!! What a thumping we gave the mighty Fulham. How are your boys doing?

Regards to Barbara.

Keep dancing.

30 December 2013 – Banias (The Hermon Stream Nature Reserve)

I was greeted by grey skies this morning but there seemed to be a break to the south so I headed directly to Bashanit Ridge to check the Yellowhammers. I’m still after that elusive Pine Bunting. Typically, by the time I got there the mist had come in making birding tricky. I spent around 45 minutes searching but there was no sign of the Yellowhammers never mind a Pine Bunting. Presumably they’d dropped lower down on the ridge to feed.

I found a nice feeding area, however, just off the main road back towards El Rom so I parked up and waited. There was an impressive mixed flock of c.300 birds: mainly Corn Buntings, then Chaffinches but also Greenfinch and Goldfinch. A corking male Hen Harrier spiced things up a bit. There was also a nice Black Redstart feeding close by – I’ve had a few of those along the way.

As the weather didn’t look promising I headed down into the valley via Masade to Banias a particularly beautiful area with lush mixed vegetation, a spectacular waterfall, a superb stream and loads of potential plus some really special ancient ruins. This is another good place to visit and especially so if you’ve a non-birder with you as there’s lots of other things going on. The temps here were noticeably warmer and just a single fleece was needed.

I chose to bird the Hermon Stream area around the falls and up to the north east towards the springs. The stream itself emerges at the foot of Mt. Hermon (2814m) and forms part of the River Jordan headwaters. It’s geared up for tourists and there are lots of marked trails to follow. Once again I’d avoided the weekend so consequently there was hardly anybody there.

Nearly fours hours later having had a thoroughly enjoyable walk I’d seen plenty of birds but nothing rare. Grey Wagtails were plentiful. If I’m honest I had my heart set on finding Israel’s first Dipper. It looks absolutely perfect for one but not to be. And that was it again.

Back to El Rom and out a little later to the local restaurant in Buq’ata for a well-earned meal.

Cheers for now.

Frank

31 December 2013: Mt. Hermon, Nimrod Orchards, Brechat Ram, Bental Reservoir.

Beautiful day. The sun was shining and there was little or no wind so I took the opportunity to head up to Mt. Hermon. Lots of cars, packed full of kids mostly, were heading up to the ski slopes for a fun day. Didn’t really fancy that so I stayed a little lower and scanned the slopes around the lower car park. Loads of regular birds again: Goldfinch, Linnet, Serin (and probably Syrian), Greenfinch, Meadow Pipit and surprisingly good numbers of Sombre Tit – at least 8 in the 1km stretch down from the lower park. Caught up with another Southern Grey Shrike somewhere along the way.

Then it was on to Nimrod where I checked a few of the orchards. Plenty of birds yet again, but as has become the norm I only caught up with the regular species. I could hear a few Chukars but they must have been well hidden as there was no sign. Several Syrian Woodpeckers noted plus a single Sardinian Warbler was seen and several others were heard.

I dropped down the short distance to Mas'ade and headed to Brechat Ram located close to the headwaters of the Sa’ar, one of the sources of the River Jordan. Typical species were noted in the orchards plus a very nice Black Redstart. The reservoir held Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, Shoveler, Wigeon, Little Grebe, Grey Heron, Coot and Green Sandpiper, but all in small numbers. There was a Common Buzzard hanging out near the entrance to the village.

A quick stop in Buq’ata for a nice falafel then on to Bental Reservoir, a little south of El Rom, and the small ponds adjacent to it. Once again nothing you wouldn’t expect to find:
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Mallard
Gadwall
Shoveler
Teal
Wigeon
Coot
Moorhen
Little Egret
Lapwing – c.110
Greenshank
Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Common Snipe
Armenian Gull
Spur-winged Plover
Black-winged Stilt

Still a distinct lack of thrushes other than Blackbirds although a single Mistle Thrush was at Nimrod. Not so many Chiffchaffs as I might have expected, no Hawfinch and few raptors other than Kestrels. Normally I see more Long-legged Buzzards up this way.

I’m heading south into the Beit She'an Valley tomorrow but before I drop down I’ll take in several of the Ramat Golan Reservoirs en-route and will call in at Gamla which is always worth a visit.

Enjoy yourselves tonight.

More from me tomorrow 1st January 2014. Only seems five minutes since the 2000 celebrations!

Cheers

Frank

Last edited:
Sociable Plovers in Urim

Hi Folks,

Here are some really nice photos taken by Thomas Krumenacker when myself, TK and Herbert were together in the field at Urim. At one point the plovers almost walked under TK's car.

Enjoy. And a special thanks to TK.

Cheers

Frank

Attachments

• sociableplover1.jpg
    sociableplover1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 35
  • sociableplover4.jpg
    sociableplover4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 37
  • sociableplovers2.jpg
    sociableplovers2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 47
  • sociableplovers3.jpg
    sociableplovers3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back