• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It can't be an albatross.... (1 Viewer)

Hello, today I saw a large bird flying over the lake at my local state park. The black and white wings were narrow and angled like an albatross and the bird was larger than the osprey I had just witnessed. It disappeared before I could get a better view in my binoculars. But I am in Pennsylvania so it couldn't have been an albatross, could it? My books and the internet have been wholly unhelpful. Does anyone have any ideas on what I might have seen? Thank you.

Hello, today I saw a large bird flying over the lake at my local state park. The black and white wings were narrow and angled like an albatross and the bird was larger than the osprey I had just witnessed. It disappeared before I could get a better view in my binoculars. But I am in Pennsylvania so it couldn't have been an albatross, could it? My books and the internet have been wholly unhelpful. Does anyone have any ideas on what I might have seen? Thank you.
Nearest fit oceanic bird wise would be a Northern Gannet, but they really are deeply unlikely to be found inland.
A big gull, such as the Great Black Backed, seems more plausible, they are bigger than Ospreys and have narrow wings with black and white.

Where in Pennsylvania? This time of year, some large gulls aren't hugely common either, though they can turn up near Lake Erie, the Atlantic, and the larger rivers (e.g., Harrisburg). A ring-billed gull wouldn't completely surprise me anywhere except a mountaintop; a herring gull is a reasonable possibility in most of the state; a great black-backed gull would be unusual (even on the coast); an albatross just ain't happening in my lifetime.

As we're fond of saying here, size of a lone bird is very unreliable. Depending on what you meant by "black and white wings", my money might be on an osprey or a ring-billed gull.

Where in Pennsylvania? This time of year, some large gulls aren't hugely common either, though they can turn up near Lake Erie, the Atlantic, and the larger rivers (e.g., Harrisburg). A ring-billed gull wouldn't completely surprise me anywhere except a mountaintop; a herring gull is a reasonable possibility in most of the state; a great black-backed gull would be unusual (even on the coast); an albatross just ain't happening in my lifetime.

As we're fond of saying here, size of a lone bird is very unreliable. Depending on what you meant by "black and white wings", my money might be on an osprey or a ring-billed gull.
Pinchot state park. York County is in the bottom center of Pennsylvania

I can’t believe what I am reading here. Is the world going mad, or is it just me? Albatross, Great Blue Heron, Northern Gannet, Great Black-backed Gull, Osprey, Ring-billed Gull, Bald Eagle, Black Tern, Caspian Tern ..... Can I suggest Andean Condor or, if that is too far-fetched, Ivory-billed Woodpecker?

I can’t believe what I am reading here. Is the world going mad, or is it just me? Albatross, Great Blue Heron, Northern Gannet, Great Black-backed Gull, Osprey, Ring-billed Gull, Bald Eagle, Black Tern, Caspian Tern ..... Can I suggest Andean Condor or, if that is too far-fetched, Ivory-billed Woodpecker?
Possibly... though I think the Californian condor is a better shout personally :unsure:

Just what is it that you can't believe? All the responses (until yours) where trying to be helpful.

I could not believe that Dizzynerd529’s #1 “large bird” should have spawned such a disparate selection. Surely Butty’s #2 “gull”, implying an otherwise unidentifiable bird, should have been a more than adequate response to encourage Dizzynerd529 to review the gulls in his field-guides? How did Northern Gannet #4, Bald Eagle #6 and Black Tern #8 help him? Newcomers to our enriching hobby should be encouraged to absorb their field-guides and reference books (i.e. not rely upon internet sites), join a local birding group and learn the basics from experienced birders.

Well, I wondered American White Pelican before others posted, but didn't post it myself.

That was a serious suggestion, based on size (larger than Osprey) etc (not sure of occurrence this time of year). But in the spirit of the thread and to keep JJ happy ... how about Black-and-white Warbler? ;-)

I really regret posting at all since now it seems that I am either crazy or stupid. It was soaring above an osprey and had wings that were several inches longer on each end. The wings were narrow and deeply angled even when flapping. It disappeared so quickly over the treeline and was really incredible to see in those fleeting moments. Albatross was the closest I could find to match the silhouette of the bird which seemed impossible. So I thought I would ask those with more experience if they had a more likely species in mind. But now I'm just feeling discouraged.

Well, it's not your fault that there are so many different birds that you might have seen. As you said, it was just a quick glance. Hopefully you'll get a better look someday. Or maybe even a photograph. Then, I'll bet you someone on this forum will nail that sucker for you!

BTW, I mentioned a great blue heron because they are so common in your area. If you see another one, check to see if you notice two long, skinny legs trailing behind the wings. You can miss them at a distance, and if all you notice are the wings then its silhouette might remind you of an albatross.

I really regret posting at all since now it seems that I am either crazy or stupid. It was soaring above an osprey and had wings that were several inches longer on each end. The wings were narrow and deeply angled even when flapping. It disappeared so quickly over the treeline and was really incredible to see in those fleeting moments. Albatross was the closest I could find to match the silhouette of the bird which seemed impossible. So I thought I would ask those with more experience if they had a more likely species in mind. But now I'm just feeling discouraged.
Don't feel discouraged.

Not all birds are identifiable - depending on the views and even with some experience, some birds will just be one that 'got away'. It's also very hard to help identify someone else's bird reliably, but it can still be a useful exercise (even allowing for/ignoring the joking around ;-) ).

Even the larger gulls should be smaller than Osprey, but size can be notoriously hard to judge on brief views. Inland albatross are extremely rare but possible of course (weather and time of year could be factors).

Maybe ebird will have some data on likely birds there, have you googled flight images/videos of some of the more plausible suggestions above? (I mention pelicans - they have long wings which could appear narrow, and in laboured flapping flight would be deeply angled).

Last edited:
I've been going to the beach my whole life and grew up with a large pond on our property so I've seen pelicans, cranes, gulls, and egrets my whole life. I just went birding at Assateague Island and Fenwick Island 2 weeks ago. This was like nothing I had ever seen before

I've been going to the beach my whole life and grew up with a large pond on our property so I've seen pelicans, cranes, gulls, and egrets my whole life. I just went birding at Assateague Island and Fenwick Island 2 weeks ago. This was like nothing I had ever seen before
You didn’t get great views of it… apologies but I think the only answer you want is that you had an albatross, which would be extremely unlikely.

It’s more likely any of the birds that have been suggested then an albatross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back