• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jan 30 release of products (2 Viewers)

MelospizaMelodiaFan

I photograph birds
United States
43rumors.com broke the news about 3 products to be announced on Jan 30:
1. OM-1 MkII
2. 9-18mm MkII
3. 150-600 f5-6.3 (not Pro)

Of interest to this forum would be #1 and #3.

Regarding #1, the site says it is the same sensor as the original OM-1 (😨), but with faster buffering and improved AF. Many commenters assert that it is a new, stacked sensor. No corrections have been made to date. IMO, if it is the same sensor, it rings the death knell for OM Systems/Olympus.

Regarding #3, this is interesting. Would you get this >2kg lens? Is 1200mm eFOV worth the cost and weight? I would say no, unless you are using it like a macro lens, to get a decent scale on small subjects. Reaching way out with 1200mm would require fast shutter speed, great IS, or a tripod to get a decent shot, not to mention good atmospheric conditions. 800mm is all that I can handle at the moment.

Thoughts?

43rumors.com broke the news about 3 products to be announced on Jan 30:
1. OM-1 MkII
2. 9-18mm MkII
3. 150-600 f5-6.3 (not Pro)

Of interest to this forum would be #1 and #3.

Regarding #1, the site says it is the same sensor as the original OM-1 (😨), but with faster buffering and improved AF. Many commenters assert that it is a new, stacked sensor. No corrections have been made to date. IMO, if it is the same sensor, it rings the death knell for OM Systems/Olympus.

Regarding #3, this is interesting. Would you get this >2kg lens? Is 1200mm eFOV worth the cost and weight? I would say no, unless you are using it like a macro lens, to get a decent scale on small subjects. Reaching way out with 1200mm would require fast shutter speed, great IS, or a tripod to get a decent shot, not to mention good atmospheric conditions. 800mm is all that I can handle at the moment.

Thoughts?
Even if the OM-1 mark II does have the same sensor as the OM-1 (mark I), then it is still worth getting, because the OM-1 is a very good camera. I have rarely had problems with the buffering on the OM-1, but no harm in introducing a camera with a faster buffer. Improved AF sounds intriguing, as the AF on the OM-1 is lightning fast (in comparison with many others I have tried).

The 150-600 f 5-6.3 does appeal to me. As it is not a Pro-lens it will not have the same degree of stabilisation, and one will need to rely on either lens stabilisation only, or just IBIS, and not synchronised stabilisation. That might be a bit of a let-down for many. But, I am willing to try one if the price is right (although I did promise myself my next lens would be the 300 mm f4 or the 150-400 dream lens).

Exciting news (for me at least), just when are these new products going to be available in the shops?
SW

If OM-1 mkii means that mki becomes available with reduced cost, then that might push me over the edge and into actual purchase. Otherwise I may hang back a little longer checking G9-ii as well.

I will not purchase a lens that is significantly heavier than my 100-400.
Niels

If OM-1 mkii means that mki becomes available with reduced cost, then that might push me over the edge and into actual purchase. Otherwise I may hang back a little longer checking G9-ii as well.

I will not purchase a lens that is significantly heavier than my 100-400.
Niels
Going from G85 to G9ii will be a significant gain in bulk, but you'll get used to it.

Depending on which improvements they made on the AF, that might qualify for a mk-ii. On the other hand, is it more than they can apply to mk-i as a firmware upgrade?
There are a lot of happy users of the sigma lens, and depending on whether it is from the contemporary or sport version, then the cost might not be increased. However, too heavy for me.
Niels

As it is not a Pro-lens it will not have the same degree of stabilisation, and one will need to rely on either lens stabilisation only, or just IBIS, and not synchronised stabilisation. That might be a bit of a let-down for many. But, I am willing to try one if the price is right (although I did promise myself my next lens would be the 300 mm f4 or the 150-400 dream lens).
Apparently it will work in harmony with the body - according to DPPreview.

I won't be rushing to buy one due to the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back