• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a Herring Gull? Latvia (1 Viewer)

CerambyX

Latvia
Was browsing through my pictures and stopped at these pictures of immature gull taken at Getliņi landfill on December 21st 2011.

I remember that I was looking for some Caspian Gulls that day, but couldn't find anything that was 100%. This one (at least I think) also isn't a Caspian - beak too heavy and with pronounced gonys angle, underwing not really pale, and structurally doesn't seem right (legs not long enough etc.).

So is this just a argentatus Herring with whitish head (or maybe it isn't really that whitish at all?)? Other possibilities that are left - Great Black-backed and Yellow-legged Gull. Size wise and structurally (head shape for example) in my eyes doesn't really look like GBBG. Not so sure about plumage features though - maybe a worn individual? Not sure about YLG either...

Will appreciate all comments!
Thanks!

Attachments

• kaija01.jpg
    kaija01.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 94
  • kaija02.jpg
    kaija02.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 57
  • kaija03.jpg
    kaija03.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Ever trying to learn large gulls myself, and not infrequently wrong ;) I'd go with 2nd cycle argentatus. Definately can't see GBB Gull in this (doesn't really look pale headed to me either) and quite a few things seem to count against it being Caspian or Yellow-legged

Ok, thanks for the replies - so Herring Gull it is! :t:

And what about this pale gull? Also in Latvia (7th May 2011). When I first saw it from distance I thought that it was Glaucous Gull - but when it flew up there were darker wing tips and tail band visible (both rather indistinct though). It seems quite larger than Herring Gull next to it and it's shape seems kinda odd (GBBG type). Could it be hybrid of some sort involving Glaucous or just a leucistic/bleached individual?

Attachments

• kaija04.jpg
    kaija04.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back