• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan Trip (1 Viewer)

GraemeS

Sporadic user
I just spent a couple of nights in Kaeng Krachan two weekends in a row and thought I'd put up some info.

We live just north of Bangkok but it just took about 3 hours to get down to the park entrance, arriving around 8am and heading straight in. The road down is very good, but take care to follow signs to Panoen Tung since you don't need to go via Kaeng Krachan town or the dam.

Once there, there is a single road all the way to the summit, so there's no danger of getting lost if you stay on the road. If you're in a saloon you'll most likely only want to drive in the park when it's dry, but the dirt road is manageable in any car all the way up past Bankrang Camping Ground to the first stream. There is a timed one-way system, but if you are only going to the first stream then it is usually fine to go at any time.

Whilst there are things to see on the way up (we heard the owlet and knew where to look for the falconets), the very best place to stop and spend time is the second stream.

It's actually all just one stream, but the road crosses it in 3 nearby spots. Unless we have a guide (try booking through Baan Maka accommodation), we always drive to the first stream then walk to the third and back.

Near the second stream this time we saw the following, and more:

Black-naped Monarch nesting
Silver-breasted Broadbill nesting
Dusky Broadbill nesting
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher
White-fronted Scops Owl
Greater Yellownape
Great Slaty Woodpecker
Grey-capped woodpecker
Crimson-winged Woodpecker
Greater Flameback
White-rumped Shama
Red-billed Malkoha
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha
Green-billed Malkoha
Greater Racket tailed Drongo
Orange-breasted Trogon
Bulbuls and smaller birds

In other places, memorable birds were the Asian Barred Owlet, Black-thighed Falconets, Red-bearded Bee-eater (feeding young), Great Barbet, Black-andred Broadbills nesting and Raffles's Malkoha.

The drive back to Bangkok takes considerably longer due to traffic and it's well worth staying a night first. We like Baan Maka and Bahn Song Nok, both of which have hides for seeing birds up close.

It's also worth noting that we're past the best time to visit (and the park will close during the raining season). Birds are nesting or preparing between March and May; coming this late means a bit less to see apparently, although Broadbills will be emerging in a week or two still.

Black-thighed Falconet- (GraemeS).jpg

Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher- (GraemeS).jpg

Black-naped Monarch- (GraemeS).jpg

Red-bearded Bee-eater- (GraemeS).jpg

White-fronted Scops-Owl-Copy 1 (GraemeS).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Graeme. Very useful.

Il be visiting the park in December for a couple of days.

Would you happen to know how expensive the guides are out there. I am trying not to use one to keep the cost of the trip low, but needs must I guess.

All the best

Expect to pay between 2300 and 3000 THB per day plus tip, but may vary with how many there are going, how much you tip, carrying equipment etc..
They're good value and save you driving so well worth it I think. The drive to the peak (after the streams) is pretty hairy, by the way.

Thanks for that Graeme. Very useful.

Il be visiting the park in December for a couple of days.

Would you happen to know how expensive the guides are out there. I am trying not to use one to keep the cost of the trip low, but needs must I guess.

All the best

If you need someone taking you there you can contact me. I live in Hua Hin,close to Kaeng Krachan.

Kaeng Krachan accommodation and guiding

I just spent a couple of nights in Kaeng Krachan two weekends in a row and thought I'd put up some info.

We live just north of Bangkok but it just took about 3 hours to get down to the park entrance, arriving around 8am and heading straight in. The road down is very good, but take care to follow signs to Panoen Tung since you don't need to go via Kaeng Krachan town or the dam.

Once there, there is a single road all the way to the summit, so there's no danger of getting lost if you stay on the road. If you're in a saloon you'll most likely only want to drive in the park when it's dry, but the dirt road is manageable in any car all the way up past Bankrang Camping Ground to the first stream. There is a timed one-way system, but if you are only going to the first stream then it is usually fine to go at any time.

Whilst there are things to see on the way up (we heard the owlet and knew where to look for the falconets), the very best place to stop and spend time is the second stream.

It's actually all just one stream, but the road crosses it in 3 nearby spots. Unless we have a guide (try booking through Baan Maka accommodation), we always drive to the first stream then walk to the third and back.

Near the second stream this time we saw the following, and more:

Black-naped Monarch nesting
Silver-breasted Broadbill nesting
Dusky Broadbill nesting
Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher
White-fronted Scops Owl
Greater Yellownape
Great Slaty Woodpecker
Grey-capped woodpecker
Crimson-winged Woodpecker
Greater Flameback
White-rumped Shama
Red-billed Malkoha
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha
Green-billed Malkoha
Greater Racket tailed Drongo
Orange-breasted Trogon
Bulbuls and smaller birds

In other places, memorable birds were the Asian Barred Owlet, Black-thighed Falconets, Red-bearded Bee-eater (feeding young), Great Barbet, Black-andred Broadbills nesting and Raffles's Malkoha.

The drive back to Bangkok takes considerably longer due to traffic and it's well worth staying a night first. We like Baan Maka and Bahn Song Nok, both of which have hides for seeing birds up close.

It's also worth noting that we're past the best time to visit (and the park will close during the raining season). Birds are nesting or preparing between March and May; coming this late means a bit less to see apparently, although Broadbills will be emerging in a week or two still.

View attachment 446147

View attachment 446148

View attachment 446149

View attachment 446150

View attachment 446151

I have visited this NP a couple of times with the most recent being in April/May 2013. Stay at Samarn's bird camp. Its closer than Baan Maka and Samarn is an excellent bird photographer and guide. Food is good and it has a lot more atmosphere than Baan Maka.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back