• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kershaw undated binoculars (1 Viewer)

Trubia26

Spain
Hi all folks, Happy to say hello!
Well, I have this Kershaw binoculars. I have read that model n°2 marklI went from WWI to early WWII, but I am afraid mine have no date marked, so It is posible to know the era without that markings? I hope this pictures helps ..thanks a lot!

IMG_20230610_184125.jpgIMG_20230610_184135.jpgIMG_20230610_184142.jpgIMG_20230610_184153.jpgIMG_20230610_184200.jpgIMG_20230610_184210.jpgIMG_20230610_184229.jpgIMG_20230610_184311.jpg

Hi and welcome.

It has the Ministry arrow, but not 14A, so I think army not air force.

It has a serial number, so maybe someone can date it.

At the present, without additional information one can guess c.1930.

Regards,
B.

Hi and welcome.

It has the Ministry arrow, but not 14A, so I think army not air force.

It has a serial number, so maybe someone can date it.

At the present, without additional information one can guess c.1930.

Regards,
B.
Thanks a lot! I know It is militar issue because of the arrows...but I don't know about that 14A code you told me (I thought RAF items were "AM" marked...for Air Ministry)...Interesting!
I think too It is circa 1930...because in WWII most were dated...and after war I think this model stopped to be produced...so interwar is a very possible chance ..thanks for your value opinion!!

These WWII period British No. 2 Mk II’s remained in service for many years after the war probably until at least 1979 when the Avimo 7x42 was introduced and were serviced and reconditioned many times during that period. On your example the original cover plates have either been replaced or the original markings on the plates removed and then re-engraved. This is not uncommon on British Army No. 2 6x30’s and the No. 5 7x50’s as well. I’ve attached a picture of a Kershaw No. 2 Mk II in my collection with a serial number very close to yours which shows what the markings would have looked like when the binocular was originally manufactured. The marking O.S.108 M.A. is a British Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores coding for the No. 2 Mk II prismatic binocular. 1942 is probably the year of contract not necessarily the year of manufacture although if the binocular order was contracted in 1942 it very possibly could have been made in that year.

Attachments

• Kershaw2II (640x474).jpg
    Kershaw2II (640x474).jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
These WWII period British No. 2 Mk II’s remained in service for many years after the war probably until at least 1979 when the Avimo 7x42 was introduced and were serviced and reconditioned many times during that time. On your example the original cover plates have either been replaced or the original markings on the plates removed and then re-engraved. This is not uncommon on British Army No. 2 6x30’s and the No. 5 7x50’s as well. I’ve attached a picture of a Kershaw No. 2 Mk II in my collection with a serial number very close to yours which shows what the markings would have looked like when the binocular was originally manufactured. The marking O.S.108 M.A. is a British Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores coding for the No. 2 Mk II prismatic binocular. 1942 is probably the year of contract not necessarily the year of manufacture although if the binocular order was contracted in 1942 it very possibly could have been made in that year.
WoW! That's a really Interesting info!! I now that wartime items were reutilized years and years after war...but It is great to learn how this happened with these binoculars...thanks a lot for sharing your knowledges!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back