• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird - Loggerhead or Giant? (1 Viewer)

Having no experience with either species, my opinion is far from expert, but looking at Raffaele et al's Birds of the West Indies, Giant Kingbirds have a white upper-cheeck that this bird does not display, which would support Loggerhead with a worn tail. Also, the bill seems to be lacking in the thickness you might expect from a Giant KB, and the tail doesn't look as forked as it's illustration does.

I agree with the consensus here. This is a cuban Loggerhead Kingbird. The bill is very long, but not particularly deep, as is the case with Giant. The head shape is better for Loggerhead, and there seems to be some worn white tipping to the tail feathers, again suggesting cuban Loggerhead. Boy, I would sure love to see a real Giant Kingbird someday!

Chris

Chris Benesh said:
I agree with the consensus here. This is a cuban Loggerhead Kingbird. The bill is very long, but not particularly deep, as is the case with Giant. The head shape is better for Loggerhead, and there seems to be some worn white tipping to the tail feathers, again suggesting cuban Loggerhead. Boy, I would sure love to see a real Giant Kingbird someday!

Chris

I feel your pain, Chris! Have you ever gone to Cuba on a research trip (since that's the only way us yanks can get there)?

overworkedirish said:
I feel your pain, Chris! Have you ever gone to Cuba on a research trip (since that's the only way us yanks can get there)?
No Alex,

But perhaps I can say that I need to get there for researching my flycatcher guide. ;) Giant Kingbird is the only flycatcher that has occurred in the ABA area that I am not familiar with from field experience, so it would be nice to see. And I would just really love to see Cuba. It sounds like a wonderful place, and all of my Canadian colleagues have birded there. But I'll leave out the political soapbox for the moment. :C

Chris

Thanks for help identifying the Kingbird at least I know now.
I have since searched the net and found that the Giant Kingbird is not found in the area I visited (Cayo Guillermo).
We had a fantastic time in Cuba and saw many birds that we had not seen before
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back