• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird? San Diego, CA, USA (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
Is it possible to ID this bird from a single photo? I took this photo around sunset, so the yellow might be slightly exaggerated due to the lighting (although I lightened it a little in PhotoShop). The bird was in a group of trees bordering a salt flat. I'm not familiar with west coast birds, so I'm just guessing, but could it be a Cassin's kingbird or a dusky flycatcher? Thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• Unidentified_12-23-23_7631.jpg
    Unidentified_12-23-23_7631.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 14
Given the location, candidates should be Western and Cassin's. Your bird has a thick black eye-patch, a small and distinct white patch under the chin, a relatively dark chest, and lacks a white edge to the tail. All this points to Cassin's.
I've no experience in California so if whoever posted faster than me disagrees I'll be eager to learn how I messed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back