• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher help please (1 Viewer)

sitan1

Hi im new to the forums and need a little advice to point me in the right direction.
Im a keen photographer who loves taking pictures of birds and would love to get a frame filler of the very colourful kingfisher, the only problem is my lens has a maximum zoom of 300mm which means I have to get quite close.
Could anyone give any suggestions on how to get a picture with my set up.
My gear
Nikon D80
Sigma 70-300mm (no convertors as yet)
Tripod
Im in the East Sussex area if that helps with locations for maybe fixed hides as well.
Thanks for looking and any advice you can give :t:

With 300mm you'll need to be virtually sitting on the perch with the bird to get a frame-filler. This was a bird about 6m from the hide, shot at 600mm and heavily cropped. The closest I've seen a kingfisher perch to a hide was at Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire. That was about 2m away and would probably give a good shot at 300mm (of course, I didn't have my camera that time).

Attachments

• Rye%20Meads%2020081207%20032.jpg
    Rye%20Meads%2020081207%20032.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 143
The closest I've seen a kingfisher perch to a hide was at Fowlmere in Cambridgeshire. That was about 2m away and would probably give a good shot at 300mm (of course, I didn't have my camera that time).
Whereas whenever I am in that hide with my 400mm and 1.4TC the kingfisher never shows. Ho Hum. Such is life ;)

Just a point, but I see you are thinking on using teleconverters with the sigma 70-300mm. This lens is not compatable with the sigma line of teleconverters (it physically will not connect to the teleconverter).
Further image results with a teleconverter do suffer from one stop of light loss on the lens and also image degradation - on a lens like the 70-300mm the quality of lens is just not suited to being combined with a teleconverter - your AF will also be more difficult to properly use and chances are only on very bright days will you get a decent exposure. Its just not worth the investment

Thanks for the input everyone it looks like i need to do some more research and invest in better quality equipment.

Obviously the Kingfisher isn't guaranteed at Fowlmere, but I've found that usually a good 2 or 3 hours in the spring hide should produce one. You won't see a lot in the meantime though!

With a 300 m"m lens - there's only one solution : Use a Hide .
You can either use a tent or even use a camoflage net over the car while shooting from the window .
As mentioned - a TC is useless with the 70-300 .
Place some perches , and position the hide 6-8 ft away . ( choose the right BG and sun direction ) . If the KF does not arrive , leave the perch in place , and return another day . In the end , you'll get your wish .

I would also suggest looking into this very usefull thread :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=92002

Here are some examples taken from a very close hide :

Attachments

• 6414DSC_0048-01_copy_2_copy.jpg
    6414DSC_0048-01_copy_2_copy.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 6414Common_Kingfisger-BF.jpg
    6414Common_Kingfisger-BF.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 6414BF-KF.jpg
    6414BF-KF.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
With a 300 m"m lens - there's only one solution : Use a Hide .

Here are some examples taken from a very close hide :

Hi Doc,

Wow, incredible shots (as we've all come to expect from you!). Are these images taken with your Tamron 200-500 ? I also use this lens and consider it excellent in good light, but have never managed to get images as sharp as yours. Do you mind me asking what processing workflow you use? If it's easier, I'd be really grateful if you could send me a few of your tricks, perhaps as a PM?

Please keep them coming, I love your work!

Regards
Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back