• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite, Dorset.. (1 Viewer)

miami

Hi, Would this be a Red, or Black Kite i saw at Wyke Down this afternoon ?

Attachments

• DSC_1305.jpeg
    DSC_1305.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
Hello,
agree with Daniel, its a Red Kite. Please note:
  • very pale greyish, nearly whitish underside of the tail (many Black kites have darker ones, but yes your bird is within variation for a Black Kite. No single absolute feature)
  • your bird has 5 fingers. There are a few recent threads here on BF about this. Thanks to all, who have commented there!
  • I think underexposure shifts darkness-value and thus jizz towards Black Kite here
Yes, its a not so easy picture for me, too. But its not a (western) Black Kite imo, and I would like to learn, if this is an hybrid or an "eastern Black Kite".

But I think, single picture effect, underexposure and variation is all you need to explain this Red Kite here.

Thanks for the replies.. It came out of the sun at distance, hence the dark look. I was in the Red camp, but just wanted confirmation as a Black Kite was seen and photographed at Martin Down today, which is just a few miles down the rd..

I saw a pair of what I think are Black Kites at DT3 4BG at 10.00 this morning. I was directly underneath one about 50 yards high.

Hello Jiggers,
welcome to birdforum from me too!

As an non UK based birder (I saw many Black Kites during the last days in SW-Germany), I agree with Butty, that its a rare sight, but:
you made everything right: you joined BF here and alerted others, so more can see it: thanks for alerting others that might well want to see a Black Kite in Britain.
Maybe its a good idea to post your sighting also here: Rare Bird Information

Extra-unlikely if there were two together.
Welcome to BF.
Only ever seen a single one before, in exactly the same place several years ago. One had been seen in Kent a few days before! The V in the tail didn't look to be as deep as that of a Red Kite's, seen a few of them around Oxford.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back