• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Ibis 7x42 ED (1 Viewer)

John, post 20,
The focussing wheel does not turn anticlockwise it functions like many binoculars discussed on this forum. I checked it 5 seconds ago. With regard to fieldcurvature, that is hardly visible at all. But the best thing you can do: try one so you can find out yourself if you like it or not.
For me the image quality it is everytime a pleasant joy .
Gijs van Ginkel

Viraj, post 15,
Sights of Nature is the shop owner of the line of Kite binoculars in Belgium. Kite binoculars are made in Japan for Sights of
Nature and some models may be made in China as well.
The 7x42 Ibis we are discussing here is made in Japan, it is printed on one of the tubes exactly the same way as it is printed on the Zeiss SFL binoculars.
Gijs van Ginkel

John, post 20,
The focussing wheel does not turn anticlockwise it functions like many binoculars discussed on this forum. I checked it 5 seconds ago. With regard to fieldcurvature, that is hardly visible at all. But the best thing you can do: try one so you can find out yourself if you like it or not.
For me the image quality it is everytime a pleasant joy .
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs,
As regards the focusser, I read that in this review: https://www.kiteoptics.com/uploads/REVIEWS/IBIS_ED_REVIEWS/Birdwatch_IBIS_ED_page1.pdf
I always thought the Ibis ED was an intersting alternative but am the contented owner of an 18 year-old 7x42 SLC. :)

John

John, post 25,
Yes I see it in the paper you quoted, but the sample I am investigating does not have an anti-clock wise turning focusser, so I will ask Sebastien the owner of Kite Optics what has happened.
Gijs van Ginkel

I had contact with Sebastien/Kite: nothing has changed since the introduction of the Kite Ibis 7x42ED. Therefore I took some other binoculars to compare and the turning direction of the Ibis focusser is the same as the ones used on many top quality binoculars from the well known producers discussed on this forum .
Gijs van Ginkel

Kite Ibis 7x42 ED arrived here AOK from Birder's Store this morning.

I cannot add much to what Gijs has said except to say that they seem very nice indeed,
and by way of a rough comparison with EDG 8x42:-

Brightness + (?Ibis just a bit brighter?)
Contrast and colour = (both being exceptional)
Eye relief ++ (Ibis has more than enough for glasses)
Field - - (Ibis narrower but should? be wider)
Distortions =/+ (both sharp for nearly the whole field)
Apparent resolution + (Ibis a little better, perhaps because I could hold them stiller or because they are slightly brighter)
Focussing action = (both exceptional)
Objective covers ++ (Ibis ones overlap and don't fall out)
Handling + (Ibis slimmer barrels and open bridge)
Weight + (Ibis lighter)

Ibis 7x image is smaller than the 8x image of EDG when the field of vision is a bit less,
so at first, wearing glasses, I did get the impression of tunnel vision,
but this was mitigated when the eye cups were pulled out to the 2nd click of the 3 available,
which took the tunnel away!

Last edited:
Kite Ibis 7x42 ED arrived here AOK from Birder's Store this morning.

I cannot add much to what Gijs has said except to say that they seem very nice indeed,
and by way of a rough comparison with EDG 8x42:-

Brightness + (?Ibis just a bit brighter?)
Contrast and colour = (both being exceptional)
Eye relief ++ (Ibis has more than enough for glasses)
Field - - (Ibis narrower but should? be wider)
Distortions =/+ (both sharp for nearly the whole field)
Apparent resolution + (Ibis a little better, perhaps because I could hold them stiller or because they are slightly brighter)
Focussing action = (both exceptional)
Objective covers ++ (Ibis ones overlap and don't fall out)
Handling + (Ibis slimmer barrels and open bridge)
Weight + (Ibis lighter)

Ibis 7x image is smaller than the 8x image of EDG when the field of vision is a bit less,
so at first, wearing glasses, I did get the impression of tunnel vision,
but this was mitigated when the eye cups were pulled out to the 2nd click of the 3 available,
which took the tunnel away!
What's your thoughts on these now after owning them for a while??

I can't remember why I returned them but it may have been because I found the dioptre adjustment needed to be on the limit when, for me, the setting has invariably been around the middle with other models.

Bad luck when the Ibis was the only discounted example available but instead I got Fujifilm KF 8x32
which has proved just as good at liitle expense, very sharp and easy to use.

I see that Fujilm KF 8x32 seller on eBay gives Eye Relief as 14.5mm, but there is more than enough with glasses which would be equivalent to "17mm" or "18mm" for me, so that I have O rings in place under the eyecups

Users who are viewing this thread

Back