• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UVHD+ 7x42 Eyecups a Little Short (2 Viewers)

w.travis

United States
The eyecups are just a tad too short for my liking. I've been making them work just fine, but if I place the eyecups all the way into my eye socket I get very minor blackouts. I need the eyecups to be just slightly longer.

I've read on the Meopta forum, that the UVHD+ 10x42 eyecups are slightly longer than the 7x42 UVHD+.

I'm wondering, does anyone know if the UVHD+ 10x42 eyecups can be put on the 7x42 UVHD+?

Seems like that would be an easy fix if they can be swapped. Anyone done that?

I have the 7x42 UVHD+ and the 10x42 UVHD. Not exactly what you are asking, but pretty darn close. I can try swapping them in a few hours.

Great! I'm thinking it is just the rubber eyecup itself and not the entire eyepiece. If it does work, could you also confirm if it adds a little length?

I swapped the complete eye cups - plastic and rubber. I don’t think that is the solution you are looking for. The rubber on the 10s is a little longer, but the 10s don’t have as much travel as the 7s. What this means is that if you put the eye cups from the 10s onto your 7s then your eye will be further away from the ocular lenses when the eye cups are retracted, but closer when the eye cups are fully extended. This is in comparison to the stock 7 eye cups. Obviously extending the eye cups moves your eye further from the ocular lens in general. Let me know if that does not make sense, and I’ll try explaining again.
It was not obvious to me that the rubber portion only could be removed without damage. If this can be done, then let me know and I will give it a try. I guess I’m asking if the rubber part is glued to the plastic part.
For my photos, these are the two different eyecups on my 7s. The stock eyecup is on the right side of the photo. And the 10s eyecup is on the left side of the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
I swapped the complete eye cups - plastic and rubber. I don’t think that is the solution you are looking for. The rubber on the 10s is a little longer, but the 10s don’t have as much travel as the 7s. What this means is that if you put the eye cups from the 10s onto your 7s then your eye will be further away from the ocular lenses when the eye cups are retracted, but closer when the eye cups are fully extended. This is in comparison to the stock 7 eye cups. Obviously extending the eye cups moves your eye further from the ocular lens in general. Let me know if that does not make sense, and I’ll try explaining again.
It was not obvious to me that the rubber portion only could be removed without damage. If this can be done, then let me know and I will give it a try. I guess I’m asking if the rubber part is glued to the plastic part.
For my photos, these are the two different eyecups on my 7s. The stock eyecup is on the right side of the photo. And the 10s eyecup is on the left side of the photo.

Thanks for doing that! You are correct, that is not the solution...

In the Meopta forum, it was ONLY the rubber eyecup that was removed. It was taken off a UVHD 10x42 and put on a Meostar 8x32 to help make the eyecups longer. I recall reading that the rubber portion was not glued, but I'll double check on that and get back to you. I'll link the post here.

Thanks for doing that! You are correct, that is not the solution...

In the Meopta forum, it was ONLY the rubber eyecup that was removed. It was taken off a UVHD 10x42 and put on a Meostar 8x32 to help make the eyecups longer. I recall reading that the rubber portion was not glued, but I'll double check on that and get back to you. I'll link the post here.
No problem. Sounds good.

No problem. Sounds good.
See the 1st post in both of these threads from eitanaltman. Said it is not glued on.

The eyecups are just a tad too short for my liking. I've been making them work just fine, but if I place the eyecups all the way into my eye socket I get very minor blackouts. I need the eyecups to be just slightly longer.
A very simple trick you can try is that beyond the documented click stops, UV eyecups have one further click out which might work for you. It's actually meant for removal, and the cups can be pulled straight off at that point with a bit of effort, so be careful with a tight-fitting rainguard (turn back down one click before putting it on).

A very simple trick you can try is that beyond the documented click stops, UV eyecups have one further click out which might work for you. It's actually meant for removal, and the cups can be pulled straight off at that point with a bit of effort, so be careful with a tight-fitting rainguard (turn back down one click before putting it on).
I have done that and it does work. I don't like the idea of them not technically being attached though and the risk of them falling off. I'm hoping the 10x42 rubber part of the eyecup is a solution.

The only time we ever had a cup come off our Trinovid 42 (same body as UV) was when it stuck in the rainguard when removing it, and we learned how to avoid that as above; it's unlikely to just "fall" off. I quite like the design, much simpler than Swaro's. (On the other hand, I was able to replace the eyecups on both my 10x Swaros with 8x ones and that was an even better solution.) Why manufacturers don't just make the damn things a bit longer I'll never understand.

The only time we ever had a cup come off our Trinovid 42 (same body as UV) was when it stuck in the rainguard when removing it, and we learned how to avoid that as above; it's unlikely to just "fall" off. I quite like the design, much simpler than Swaro's. (On the other hand, I was able to replace the eyecups on both my 10x Swaros with 8x ones and that was an even better solution.) Why manufacturers don't just make the damn things a bit longer I'll never understand.
Thanks tenex. While birding I am constantly putting on and taking off the raingaurds. I'm little anal about dirty lenses so pretty much after every look I immediately apply raingaurd, then quickly remove again for the next look. Dozens of times very quickly on/off while birding. So turning eyecup back down one click and then up again isn't going to be a realistic option for how many times I'd have to do that and the time it would take. I'd miss to many birds.

since the eyecups screw out you can do the o ring trick where you put a 2 mm o ring at the base of the threads. If the there is enough thread then your eyecups will be 2mm further out when fully extended. I did this in my Mavens and it eliminated 95% of the blackouts I was experiencing. Not sure if there is enough thread on the Leicas but it would be worth checking out

I've read on the Meopta forum, that the UVHD+ 10x42 eyecups are slightly longer than the 7x42 UVHD+.

I'm wondering, does anyone know if the UVHD+ 10x42 eyecups can be put on the 7x42 UVHD+?

Seems like that would be an easy fix if they can be swapped. Anyone done that?
Hi I have the Leica winged eyecups, I like them because they block the ambient light (the reason that I bought them) but they are a little bit longer than the standard fit.

since the eyecups screw out you can do the o ring trick where you put a 2 mm o ring at the base of the threads. If the there is enough thread then your eyecups will be 2mm further out when fully extended. I did this in my Mavens and it eliminated 95% of the blackouts I was experiencing. Not sure if there is enough thread on the Leicas but it would be worth checking out
Thank upland, this is a potential fix. I'll look into it. Still hoping the 10x rubber part of eyecups will fit as I think that is best solution if it works.

Despite reports that the rubber eyecups can be removed and re-attached I'm a little apprehensive about risking damage to two pairs of my binoculars. I'm still thinking about it.

Despite reports that the rubber eyecups can be removed and re-attached I'm a little apprehensive about risking damage to two pairs of my binoculars. I'm still thinking about it.
I don't blame you! Lol. When I get my 7x42 back from Leica I'll put on the 10x rubber eyecups. Very carefully that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back