• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kites in Wiltshire (1 Viewer)

Duchesse

Hi, first post coming up!

I have looked at the locations of your members and reckon that nobody in, say Iraq, will be interested in red kites near Salisbury, Wilts, so I'll shut up after I've finished this post...

Saw a kite yesterday over Dinton, 12 miles west of Salisbury and have seen them in Chilmark, a bit further away. I have heard that there are nests, but they don't come down to feed, like they do in Henley. However, the locals there have been told not to feed them as they are a bit er...mucky and turn out rubbish bags etc. I'd love to see one in my garden, although my cat :cat: might not be impressed!

Hi Duchesse and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I have looked at the locations of your members and reckon that nobody in, say Iraq, will be interested in red kites near Salisbury, Wilts, so I'll shut up after I've finished this post...

LOL Although we have members from all over the world, it's rather amazing how interested they can be in what goes on in other places. Some may have emigrated from the very place you're reporting from. My sister moved to Marlborough a few years ago, so I'm really keen to know what's available to be seen in Wiltshire. The only English Red Kites I've seen were near Bristol when I was driving on the Motorway.

So keep the reports coming please and I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi, first post coming up!

Hello, Not everyone is from Irag and there are some on here closer to home so keep visiting. Red Kites are increasing in Wiltshire and spreading west and southwards. They will be spreading mainly as generations grow from the Chiltern re-introductions of many years ago. You can roughly draw a line down the middle of Wiltshire and on the East you will see Kite and on the West you may see Kite but that line moves West each year.

Delia, Marlborough is very much within that 'you will see Kites' area and you can guarantee birds over the Marlborough Downs most days.

Last edited:
Delia, Marlborough is very much within that 'you will see Kites' area and you can guarantee birds over the Marlborough Downs most days.

Kites are often in the skies between Marlborough and Swindon, especially over the top by Barbury Castle

LOL Yes, I know. My sister sees them regularly, but two visits she's taken me out to look for them and there were none to be seen! We did see a (the?) very pale Buzzard near Silbury Hill.

It's over 2 years since I last was down there. Maybe next time.

We did see a (the?) very pale Buzzard near Silbury Hill.

Delia Silbury Hill is taking you away from the main population. You will see them there but try the road from Marlborough to Ramsbury or Mildenhall next time (for those in Cambridgeshire this Mildenhall is pronounced 'Mynall' - honestly).

Thanks Bob. Yes, I remember we took that road. In fact we sat for a while on a bench here. "I always see some round here" she says!!

One day..... and one day someone will take me to Newport Wetlands again and I'll see Cetti's Warbler. Never even heard them on all the visits I've made there and other places I've been taken to. Story of my life really. LOL.

You can almost guarantee them at Didcot Parkway railway station - nearly in Wiltshire, and they are all over the Newbury/Basingstoke/Reading triangle. It can only be a couple of flaps to where you are...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back