• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Knysna Warbler call (1 Viewer)

sneil

Bit of help, please. Trying to access recording of the call/alarm (not song, which I can readily find) of Knysna Warbler so I can discount (or reflect further on) sighting (and 'hearing') at Kirstenbosch Gardens, end January. Can't seem to find one on the web. Saw briefly a dark warbler that might fit the bill then it disappeared into the undergrowth, and have it calling in the background of a rather pathetic video of Cape Francolin that I took (and don't have the technical nous to upload!). If anyone could point me in the right direction, much appreciated.
Also in SA forum

Bit of help, please. Trying to access recording of the call/alarm (not song, which I can readily find) of Knysna Warbler so I can discount (or reflect further on) sighting (and 'hearing') at Kirstenbosch Gardens, end January. Can't seem to find one on the web. Saw briefly a dark warbler that might fit the bill then it disappeared into the undergrowth, and have it calling in the background of a rather pathetic video of Cape Francolin that I took (and don't have the technical nous to upload!). If anyone could point me in the right direction, much appreciated.
Also in SA forum

I just checked Xeno Canto but unfortunatly currently only has song recordings, albeit one from Kirstenbosch

Thanx Bfbs.....yes that seems to be prob.....I can get the song (pretty diagnostic), but it's that wretched 'prrt' call that I want to check out

Probably not much help, but as I recall, the call is very like you would expect from eg an Asian Bush warbler type bird. Irregularly uttered and short and sharp from dense undergrowth. I only heard one calling (at a site where several were singing), and instantly thought 'that has to be it'. Pishing then got me views of it. There probably aren't that many fiendishly skulking options that sound anything like that at Knysna sites?

Spent literally hours trying to tape out Knysna when I did the Cape, getting to within inches at times it seemed, without luck, at several sites.

Then at Constantia, last site to be tried having exhausted all other possibilities, I strolled up and there was one singing, in the open, completely oblivious. The tape player hadn't even got out of the bag.

Certainly felt deluded at the time, a serious "pinch myself" moment:t:

Thanks all......Thanks Larry: I'll check out the bush warblers.......otherwise I'm going with the 'Pah, the stupid bloody bird doesn't exist so why bother?? Everyone that has 'seen' it is delusional' strategy!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back